Life and Death of Harriet Freane

by May Sinclair | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Deborah909 of Boston, Massachusetts USA on 9/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Deborah909 from Boston, Massachusetts USA on Monday, September 21, 2009
Thank you for befriending this book! You're welcome to keep it as long as you like, and to hand it on to another stranger when you're finished with it.

Now that you've visited BookCrossing.com, we hope that you'll take a moment to make a journal entry about this book. Please tell us how you came across it, whether you enjoyed reading it, and how you plan to pass it along to the next reader.

Let's turn the whole world into a library!

Released 9 yrs ago (9/22/2009 UTC) at Caffe Bella Vita (OBCZ), 30 Charles St., Beacon Hill in Boston, Massachusetts USA

I (heart) Caffe Bella Vita!

Journal Entry 3 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, September 27, 2010
Mr G and I were in Boston for a vacation just recently and I was pleased to discover that there was an OBCZ just a short walk away from where we were staying. I stopped in one day to release one of the books that I'd finished and of course I had to look at the other books on the shelf.... I haven't heard of this title or the author but it's a Virago Modern Classic and I know some of those are excellent so I picked it up. I'll read it and next time I'm travelling I'll take it along to release. Thanks, Deborah909!

Journal Entry 4 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, October 31, 2010
NOTE: This review may be considered by some to include spoilers although it doesn't reveal any more than the blurb on the back cover of the book.

I’d never heard of this book or its author until I came across a Bookcrossing copy at a café in Boston. The author was apparently a distinguished British novelist in the period after the First World War and I’m really glad to have discovered this Virago Modern Classic. It was easy to read but a sad tale of a narrow and repressed life, and the futility of self-sacrifice. Harriett is the only child of her highly moral Victorian parents who have inculcated her with the virtue of behaving well. When she falls in love with the fiancé of a friend, she insists that he marry her friend and misery results for all. Even her and her mother’s unwillingness to state their preferences in minor matters results in choices that please neither. After the death of both her parents, Harriett is still unable to move on as an independent being, and her identity remains that of their daughter.

I finished reading this on a flight over to the UK and I will release it before going home. I will be travelling up to Yorkshire to meet another bookcrosser, Nu-Knees (very excited!). If she's interested I will leave it with her. Otherwise, it will be wild-released.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCJL-230711wing at The Bull in Bracknell, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 12, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/10/2010 UTC) at The Bull in Bracknell, Berkshire United Kingdom

Nu-Knees realised when she saw the book that she'd previously read it, so I took it to Bracknell with me and left it on a bench outside, in front of The Bull pub in the shopping precinct.

Welcome to Bookcrossing! I hope you'll enjoy this book and explore the Bookcrossing site. It's loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world! Please let us know that you've found the book, what you thought of it and if possible, where you might re-release it when you're done so it can continue its journey. You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join up I hope you will consider using me, mrsgaskell, as the one who referred you.