The Wasp Factory

by Iain Banks | Horror |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 9/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, September 21, 2009
Omigosh, 3 new books from Borders in Cambridge...a birthday gift card. Thanks Ness :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, January 05, 2012
2 years on and the great big bookshop and the Borders chain is no more :( I guess retail and the high street is destined always to follow current social fashions, consumer needs and economics, but I do hope in my life to continue to browse through real books in real bookshops. Anyhoo, back to the review. This is a 25th anniversary edition of Banks' first novel from 1984 and includes an interesting bit of background about how it was written, the younger man's interest in SF (but failure to get published) and the seeds of a lot of Frank Cauldhalme's less dangerous pursuits! This still feels very fresh and the twist in the end surprised me. WIthout giving too much away this is like a twisted 'coming of age' novel as Frank's very unusual life is gradually pieced together. Hints of the other great books like Lord of the Flies and I Capture the Castle, the first-person narrative of a confused and in this case psychopathic young adult. Of course I shouldn't have waited 25 years, but am now keen to catch-up on Banks full back catalogue :)

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, January 13, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/14/2012 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

I'm taking this along to the Ipswich meet-up tomorrow to share, or add to the bookshelf in Coffee Link. If you find this book (and have made it this far to the interweb), then welcome to bookcrossing :)