The Magic Wagon

by Joe R. Lansdale | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingghirwing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 9/21/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingghirwing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, September 21, 2009
This book was marketed as a Western, but it had elements of supernatural happenings like Lansdale's drive-in books. An orphaned boy falls in with two men (and a wrestling chimpanzee) in a medicine wagon selling an alcohol-based cure-all and sharp-shooting show (and glimpses of a mummified corpse that may or may not be Wild Bill Hickok). Quite a bit of violence and gross-out, not for the prim. If you're looking for a Western-horror novel with social commentary on race (and who isn't?!), this is the ticket.

To TOC, 10/25/09.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 25, 2009
Joe Lansdale writing a Western??

On second thought, why not? I'll bet it's not exactly run-of-the-mill, though.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Started to read this and realized that I just can't do bizarrely creepy with a side of impending doom at the moment. Putting it aside for now and looking for something a bit more reassuring; I'll get back to twisted & eerie later on I'm sure.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, January 24, 2010
Pretty much what you'd expect from a Western by Joe Lansdale: not quite like anyone else's. Amusing and full of characters I don't want to meet. :p

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, November 26, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (11/26/2010 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book is off to see the world by way of time-traveler's bizarre fiction bookbox. Released for RockDg9's The The Challenge.

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Free your books - help spread the words!

Journal Entry 6 by time-traveler at Peekskill, New York USA on Saturday, February 26, 2011
Wow, never heard of this, but it sounds truly unique. I will definitely be reading this, thanks for putting it in the box!

Journal Entry 7 by time-traveler at Peekskill, New York USA on Saturday, March 05, 2011
I started reading this because it was nice and short and sounded interesting. I was on page 6 and came across this paragraph: Albert claimed he could feel and sometimes see spirits. (His great-grandfather) believed all things had souls, even rocks and trees. He told Albert...about spirits and goblins, and little short folks that lived in the woods... So, yay! This will count for GoryDetail's 2011 Chills & Spills Read & Release Challenge for the month of March (the theme for this month is goblins/woodland creatures). Also to be released for booklady331's Keep Them Moving Challenge and ekorren's 52 Towns in 52 Weeks Challenge.

Journal Entry 8 by time-traveler at The Palisades Mall in West Nyack, New York USA on Saturday, March 19, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/19/2011 UTC) at The Palisades Mall in West Nyack, New York USA

Upper level of JC Penney, on top of some men's plaid shirts.