The Hiding Place

by Corrie Ten Boom | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0340208457 Global Overview for this book
Registered by bettyspaghetty of Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on 9/17/2009
Journal Entry 1 by bettyspaghetty from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, September 17, 2009
As the nazi madness swept across Europe, a quiet watchmaker's family in Holland risked everything for the sake of others, and for the love of Christ. Despite the danger and threat of discovery, they courageously offered shelter to persecuted Jews. Then a trap brought about the family's arrest. Could God's love shine through, even in Ravensbruck?

The moving story of Corrie ten Boom a heroine of the Dutch Resistance who helped Jews escape from the Nazis and became one of the most remarkable evangelists of the 20th century.

Journal Entry 2 by bettyspaghetty from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, October 26, 2009
Will start traveling as a bookring soon to:
Mafarrimond (UK)
Helena100 (Greece)
Bloedengel (Belgium)
Jax987654321 (UK)
Tiatia (US)
Oppem (US)

....
back to bettyspaghetty

Journal Entry 3 by bettyspaghetty at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/22/2010 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

On it's way to Mafarrimond.

Journal Entry 4 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 24, 2010
I will enjoy reading this. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 5 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, April 17, 2010
A very moving story. I didn't relaise that there had been a film made of the book. I will have to look out for it.

Journal Entry 6 by mafarrimond at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, April 18, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/19/2010 UTC) at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece

Posting on to helena100

Journal Entry 7 by helena100 from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, May 04, 2010
arrived safely. I will have to read some other rings first and then it is its turn.

Interesting book, it left me with a feeling for doing good, but at times I found it slightly irritating. too much bible reading for my liking.

on the whole a good book.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Thanks for sending. I'll read it shortly. It looks interesting !

Journal Entry 9 by wingbloedengelwing at Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, October 29, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/29/2010 UTC) at Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

The book quite touched me. More than I expected actually, as the front nor the short reading really drew my attention. But as soon as I started reading, I couldn't stop anymore.
Strange how 'fictional' this seems, while it is definitely a work of non-fiction / reality. That's the scary part I guess. Don't think that Corrie ever saw this un-fictional-reality coming at hers ...
I did not have this feeling of 'over-biblification' unless for in the last chapter, spoiling the end a bit for me too ...

I'm now sending it on its way to London to JAX-withthedifficultname(lotsofnumbers). Enjoy !

Journal Entry 10 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 04, 2010
Sent to me as part of a bookring. I read this book many years ago and wanted to re-read this book. I have already read the first chapter and look forward to reading the rest. Thanks for including me,.

Journal Entry 11 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 07, 2010
I have read this before, along time ago and when I saw the bookring advertised I thought I would join and read it again. This is an inspirational and challenging book for a Christian as it is a clear demonstration of how God can support Christian's thorough very difficult and painful circumstances. I found it especially interesting to note that Corrie Ten Boom was the same age when the book started as I am now. I have been through some difficult times since first reading the book and I have also visited a death camp in Poland and learnt a lot more about what went on during the war.

I can understand why Helena100 found the book irritating, as if I wasn't a Christian (and I am aware that I am making an assumption here, sorry if I am wrong) I would also find it irritating. In fact, in general, even as a Christian, I dislike people quoting scriptures at me. This book is fine as it is clearly their lifestyle to talk a lot about the bible etc and anyway, I suspect without God's help, the forgiveness Corrie found for people who had treated her and her family so badly, would not be possible.

I re-read this book within 36 hours and am glad I did.

Journal Entry 12 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, November 19, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/19/2010 UTC) at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom

on its way across the pond.

Journal Entry 13 by tiatia at Springfield, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 28, 2010
Splish splash...arrived safely across the pond. Since my background is Dutch I am especially looking forward to reading this. Thanks for including me in the ring.

Journal Entry 14 by tiatia at Springfield, Virginia USA on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
A quick read about the ten Boom family under the Natzi occupation of Holland and their concentration camp experience. The role of the Bible and religious faith in all their actions is overarching. I felt Corrie was more believable than her "saintly" sister Betsie. She had the ability to tell how human weaknessess could be uplifted by belief in God's love and miracles. Neither as frightening nor as despressing as some Holocost books I have read.
Off to the next reader as soon as I have an address

Journal Entry 15 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010
Thanks Tiatia - book arrived today.. I have just begun reading a quite lengthy book - but once that is finish will begin reading this one...
Looking at the list seems like I am the last reader so unless I hear otherwise will send this back across the pond once read ??..

Journal Entry 16 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Friday, December 24, 2010
Just finished reading this book. I found it interesting to read about someone's 1st. hand account of living in the Nederlands during those war years but as other previous readers have stated far too much spiritual quoting for my liking. I often felt like I was being preached at.
Thank you & will now send it back to bettyspaghetty.

Journal Entry 17 by wingoppemwing at Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/5/2011 UTC) at Ede, Gelderland Netherlands

Ring finished & am sending this book 'back home' to betty spaghetty' - many thanks for sharing this book with us all.

Journal Entry 18 by bettyspaghetty at Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Returned safely to me! Thank you all for your reading and entry's!

Journal Entry 19 by bettyspaghetty at OBCZBagelsBooks in Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, January 06, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/6/2018 UTC) at OBCZBagelsBooks in Ede, Gelderland Netherlands

Left it in the bookcase for another reader. Enjoy!