A Pale View of Hills

by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mafarrimond of Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on 9/12/2009
Journal Entry 1 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, September 12, 2009
A Japenese woman now living alone in England dwells on the recent sicide of her daughter. Retreating into the past, she finds herself reliving one paricular summer in Nagasaki.

Journal Entry 2 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, September 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/12/2009 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Added to Soffitta1 Oceanic and Islands Boox Box. Set in England and Japan.

Journal Entry 3 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 12, 2009
Taken from the Oceania/Island bookbox. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 02, 2009
This book was so boring! The whole sidestory of the strange woman with the weird child seemed to be building up to some big revelation about them...was the child being abused by her uncle or Frank? Did her mother have some big secret to be revealed? It was the only thing that forced me to continue with the book and then BANG! Nothing! No great revelation, she just stopped thinking about the woman and child. What a total let down! This was a real waste of two hours!

Journal Entry 5 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/16/2009 UTC) at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom

Going into the Asian theme bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, December 06, 2009
Strange how things go around. I have this out of soffitta1's Asian book box as I noticed that the winner of the European Christmas sweepstake had it on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 7 by mafarrimond at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Sunday, December 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/7/2009 UTC) at Bremen, Bremen Germany

Sending to ApoloniaX as the winner of the European Christmas sweepstake. Noticed this on your wish list. Co-incidently, the book has recently travelled back to be in the Asian Book Box. Off it goes on its travels again.

Hope you enjoy.

Merry Christmas.

Journal Entry 8 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Saturday, December 12, 2009
Received this in the mail today.
Thank you so much, mafarrimond, a wishlist book!!!

Journal Entry 9 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, December 28, 2009
I know there are quite a few interpretations, but for me it is a psychological novel about a mother trying to come to terms with her daughter’s suicide. It’s so full of tiny details one can easily overlook, it is tender and disturbing at the same time. Even the characters in the background are drawn well, they bring up a few more topics that the novel deals with such as the father-son relationship or the changes in Japanese society (especially regarding the role of women). I love the enigmatic narrative style and the languid pace, the melancholia, the understatement. Things are left open in the end, questions remain – I appreciate this, it made me think more about the story. The reader can choose how to interpret Etsuko’s haunting world. A masterpiece.

Travelling with a VBB now.

Journal Entry 10 by wingApoloniaXwing at Contemporary Asian Literature, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 21, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (2/21/2010 UTC) at Contemporary Asian Literature, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to a winner of the Contemporary Asian Literature VBB's final draw.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, March 08, 2010
Thank you ApoloniaX. I will enjoy this one.