The Water''s Lovely

by Ruth Rendell | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by quinnsmom of Hobe Sound, Florida USA on 9/8/2009
Journal Entry 1 by quinnsmom from Hobe Sound, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Not one of Rendell's best, The Water's Lovely is really the story of the relationship between sisters. Ismay, the elder sister, knows a secret about the other sister, Heather, that has had life-changing consequences, including driving their mother Beatrix a bit insane. Now Heather has a serious boyfriend to whom she becomes engaged, and Ismay wonders if she should share that secret with him so that he knows what kind of wife he's getting. Meanwhile, Ismay runs into some serious obstacles of her own, and between the two sisters, their choices have an effect on all of the other characters in the novel.

As noted, it's not my favorite Rendell work, and it's more of a character study than a mystery. I did not find a single character that I liked in this book. There are several subplots in this book, and at times the dialog was a bit inane. The real mystery here is how I manage to finish it. I think if you're a fan of Ruth Rendell fan you might want to give it a go, but it's eminently skippable among her books.