The Zookeeper's Wife (A War Story)

by Diane Ackerman | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by mdm139 of Las Vegas, Nevada USA on 9/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by mdm139 from Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Friday, September 04, 2009
I started to read this book, but did not like the writing style so I quit reading.

Journal Entry 2 by mdm139 at National Zoo in -- Parks (regional and national), District of Columbia USA on Friday, September 18, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/19/2009 UTC) at National Zoo in -- Parks (regional and national), District of Columbia USA

at the main entrance of the zoo

Journal Entry 3 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, September 25, 2009
mdm139 gave this to me at the zoo last week. I'm absolutely thrilled as I've been wanting to read this book for a year or two. I heard Diane Ackerman talk about this book at the National Book Festival (history & biographies tent) and since then I've been really interested to give it a try. Someone promised it to me as a RABCK but I never got it. So I'm happy to have a copy to put on Mount TBR now! Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 03, 2017
I liked this book but did not love it. Some of the description was excellent, but some of the storytelling was disjointed and not engaging. The idea of a zoo director and his wife hiding Jewish citizens of Warsaw in the buildings of their zoo during WWII is FASCINATING. But the story at times would read like (and this is not a quote) 'Then she ordered twenty pounds of potatoes. Her husband joined the resistance and ferried Jewish citizens to others in the underground. The winter months were long, so she ordered more supplies.' Wait, what? Her husband did what? Tell more about that and less about the potatoes, please! I think the problem was that the book is based largely on journal/diary entries from Antonina Zabinski, and those are not always complete or detailed to the extent I wanted for a good, dramatic story. There was never any explanation about how they got involved in the underground resistance movement, for example, but there was a lot of explanation of their son's favorite pets.

To make the story a little more complex, and to try to paint a complete picture of what was happening in the Warsaw ghetto, the author pulled firsthand accounts from other people in the ghetto, but not necessarily people who were involved in the zoo escape route in any way. So those both contributed to and distracted from the overall story. (I also at Elvis singing "In the ghetto!" in my head, over and over, every time that phrase was used).

It definitely picked up by the end of the book, and the short interview with the couple's son was touching. I was devastated when the Nazis shot all the zoo animals. I'm not a fan of the Nazis. Though I didn't really understand the extent of the genetic experiments and perspective they had until I read this book. It was also nice to know what happened to the main players, even though sometimes the outcome was sad. The happiest moment was Badger turning up just fine. Awwww!

I'm really interested to find out how they made this into a movie. It's such an incomplete picture of what happened, with almost nothing from the perspective of the people who were smuggled out. But there are definitely some powerful moments, and the concept itself is certainly a story that needed to be told.

Journal Entry 5 by wingKateKintailwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 03, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (12/10/2017 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Bringing to the BCinDC holiday party so it can find a new reader!

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, December 11, 2017
This book followed me home from the Annual BookCrossing Party at the home of authorauthor today in Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

I'm releasing this book for...

***The 2018 Clean Start Release Challenge hosted by BOOKWORMINUSALL for zbird. The book's title contains the word OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 8 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 27, 2018

Journal Entry 9 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Library at Mom's Organic Market in Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, February 15, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/15/2018 UTC) at Little Library at Mom's Organic Market in Rockville, Maryland USA

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!