The Witching Hour: v. 1

by Anne Rice | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0140132031 Global Overview for this book
Registered by nediamnori87 of St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on 9/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by nediamnori87 from St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 04, 2009
The first book in the Mayfair witch trilogy. I read this not knowing what to expect I had just read the vampire chronicles. However I really enjoyed this book and love Anne Rice's style.

This is reserved for the Anne Rice Book Spiral

Journal Entry 2 by nediamnori87 from St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 15, 2009
I've just reread this and wanted to make a few comments. *SPOILERS*

The first part of the book is very disjointed and you do initially wonder where it is leading. You only get a vague understanding of what is going on and leaves it very much open. A part of me wonders whether there is too many things going on at once before you start. Especially since there is no particular character's view point that you follow. However reading on to part two.
In part two you get a report style dialogue along with ocassional jumping out to present times. Here I wish that Rice had taken a different approach. The story of each of the individual witches I think is really facinating and to have it as a third party view point is a shame. I'm sure the novel could have been enriched by actually telling it from the witches point of view rather than that of the Talamasca. I understand why she has written it in this way but doesn't stop me being disappointed by only getting dribs and drabs of information and is more like a fact-book than an actual story. Still the second part is very well written and the reports and letters give just enough information to keep you interested without giving too much away.

In the final two parts the style settles down back to a narrative from the lead characters. This section is much easier to read and follow. However both of these sections are very short in comparison to the rest of the book. I did find myself getting annoyed with Rowan at the end less so with Micheal, and Aaron seems to give up and hide for the remainder of the story. I understand why Rowan does what she does but that's probably from an understanding from later on in the series, when I was reading it this time I was just getting frustrated with her, a bit like getting annoyed about people in horror movies when they go back into the house alone etc.

Still I enjoyed the book overall again and I do love the way Rice writes. Despite the length of the book I think it is well worth a read.

Journal Entry 3 by nediamnori87 from St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Anne Rice Spiral

Book Order:

* The Witching Hour (1990)
* Lasher
* Taltos
* Interview with the Vampire (1976)
* The Vampire Lestat (1985)
* The Queen of the Damned (1988)
* The Tale of the Body Thief (1992)
* Memnoch the Devil (1995)
* The Vampire Armand (1998)
* Merrick (2000)
* Blood and Gold (2001)
* Blackwood Farm (2002)
* Blood Canticle (2003)

Participant Order (Please note order changes with each book as some people don't require every book)

nediamnori87 (UK)
Aniskaiasis (UK)
Jonniboi(UK) (UK Postage)<--- Book is here
Vdubber(UK) (UK Preferred)
Rach-489(UK) (UK Preferred)
Caramae (Netherlands) (EU Preferred)
lopeanha (GER) (Intl Postage)
phoenixfeather (GER) (Ger/ EU Postage)
Chrysalis441 (GER) (Intl Postage)
Uruviel (Mexico) (US/Central America Postage)
sothisdhampir(US) (US Postage)
Rrrcaron(US) (US Postage)
bobnjen(US) (US Postage)
dakini6 (US) (Intl if necessary)
Back to nediamnori87 (UK)

Spiral Rules:

1. As this is a long book I will leave two months per person on this book for reading but please put it to the top of your TBRs
2. Journal the book once you receive it
3. PM the next person on the list for there address once the end is near
4. Journal the book again with your opinions once you are ready to send it off again
5. Last person on the list sends it back to me

I know this is a long book to start with but the others are shorter. If you don't enjoy this one but still want to read the vampire chronicles let me know and I'll change the order accordingly.

Enjoy the Book

Journal Entry 4 by nediamnori87 at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/27/2009 UTC) at St Andrews, Scotland United Kingdom

Given to a friend to start the book spiral

Journal Entry 5 by Aniskaiasis on Wednesday, September 30, 2009
The lovely nediamnori has given me permission to read this book first. I've received it and plan on thoroughly enjoying it!

Journal Entry 6 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Just got this book through the post, I cannot wait to read it, but it may take me a while with the amount of pages!

Journal Entry 7 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, June 20, 2010
YAY!!!!!!!! Finally finished! This was amazing and I cannot wait to read the next book I felt that the files that appear in the middle is a little slow going and sometimes I felt they could be removed but as I got past it and read on I found out it was neccessary! I am looking forward for the next book. I shall pass this on when I get the chance!

Journal Entry 8 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 14, 2010
I sent this off ages ago, and I'm sure I put release notes, anyway, I'm surprised that Vdubber hasn't got it yet!