The Jigsaw Maker (Transita)

by Adrienne Dines | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 190517523x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Gizmopuddy of Maynooth, Co. Kildare Ireland on 9/3/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Gizmopuddy from Maynooth, Co. Kildare Ireland on Thursday, September 03, 2009
Got this after thoroughly enjoying hearing Adrienne Dines speak at the 2008 London Convention. I had meant to read it immediately, but somehow it disappeared. It reappeard last week during a clear out of my far too cramped bookshelves.

Anyway, to the book! My father grew up in a rural village in Kilkenny, and with every descriptive passage on village life, I could envision these exact events taking place in my Father's village.

It is a warm and gentle tale of Ireland in the 60s, or so it would seem. The story is exactly as I have heard 1960s in Ireland told. A lot went on behind closed doors, and there was many a knowing nod and a wink, but things were never spoken about in public. Impure thoughts and confessing all, were paramount in people's priorities. Front row of the church on a Sunday, and the nuns frightening the living daylights out of you!

I had guessed most of the missing jigsaw pieces, but there was one I hadn't guessed, so some intrigue right to the end.

The Jigsaw maker was a nice plot to use to knit together the present and the past. I will definitely read more Adrienne Dines' books in the future.

Journal Entry 2 by Gizmopuddy at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/13/2012 UTC) at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Releasing for Dublin 2012 Bookcrossing Convention

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, gizmopuddy, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by bludanzer22 at Syracuse, Utah USA on Thursday, March 28, 2013
I had decided to pick this book up at the Dublin Book crossing Convention last year in April. I hope to read it and release it while I'm in Europe for the next convention.

Journal Entry 4 by bludanzer22 at Syracuse, Utah USA on Wednesday, April 17, 2013
This book was a different than I thought it would be, but I enjoyed it! Taking to the BC convention in Sweden. will make release notes when I release it. :)

Journal Entry 5 by bludanzer22 at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/19/2013 UTC) at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Gave to 6of8 to read, hope she enjoys it!

I do hope that whoever finds this reads it. It is a book full of characters waiting to come alive when you read about them. I hope you enjoy reading this book, and let this book continue traveling once you are finished with it.

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at -- Airports and planes, New Jersey USA on Saturday, April 20, 2013
My niece passed this on to me to read on the way to the convention in Gothenburg. Loved this book - I could hear the author's voice from her presentation in Dublin. Very well-crafted story. Definitely recommend. Will add it to the table at convention.

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/19/2013 UTC) at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Welcome to Book Crossing -- this book is now yours to read, retain, release, or any combination thereof which suits your fancy. Books registered with Book Crossing are tracked by those who have read them before to see where they will go and who they will meet on their journeys. People who participate in the Book Crossing community often establish friendships and trade books or comments on books and just relish a relationship with other readers across the globe.

You are welcome (and encouraged) to create a journal entry on the book, particularly when passing it on to a specific someone or releasing in the wild. You don't have to read the book to create a journal entry nor do you have to feel obligated to write only positive things. All those who have had their hands on the book before you would be excited to read any journal entry you choose to make.

You can remain anonymous or join Book Crossing, where you are known to others by the screen name of your choice and no personal information is revealed. If you join, you can receive e-mail updates about all the places this book travels to in the future. (I would love it if you listed me, 6of8, as your referring member).

Sharing books in this fashion is just another way of spreading good karma across the world. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 8 by Nordpirat at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Sunday, April 21, 2013
This book has attended more conventions than I have. :-)
I caught this book at my first (and the books second) convention.

Journal Entry 9 by Nordpirat at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Friday, May 24, 2013
I really liked this book!
Even though I actually managed to guess all of the jigsaw pieces I never found the book boring - not even predictable.
If this authors other books are anywhere near this good I'll be happy to read them as well!

Released 1 yr ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

I plan to release this book to the "favourite book buffet table" at the convention.
I really enjoyed reading this book. It has a beautiful cover.
Also, this will be this books third convention, and I really wish for it to be picked up and read by yet another bookcrosser.
And who knows; perhaps I'll even re-see it at some future convention...

Journal Entry 11 by teachie at High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 24, 2017
I saw this book at the Oslo Convention and put it into the Bookswap and was lucky enough to win it back. It wasn't the story I was expecting but I enjoyed it all the same.
It is a story about how the misconceptions of childhood can affect adulthood.I went to college with a lot of Irish girls and could hear their voices as I read this book. It brought back a lot of happy memories for me, which would have pleased the jigsaw maker. A neat twist at the end.
This is going off to another bookcrosser who asked to read it after me, so back to Norway it goes.

Journal Entry 12 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, May 11, 2017
Thank you for passing this book on to me. I really appreciate the fact that you sent it to me.

Journal Entry 13 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, March 22, 2018
It is always interesting to read the books that caught your attention at some point, and this one did intrigue me when I heard about it last year. Of course, I had forgotten everything I heard, and sort of started on scratch.
The book has a nice enough story, even if I did not really buy that as an adult you would not see through your childhood misconceptions. There are some twists, however, they are very predictable. I did not really take to the books, nor the characters, these middle aged ladies acting like teenagers; getting upset at each others, holding grudges, not speaking to each other for days!
Even so, thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 14 by wingHaugtussawing at Norsk Oljemuseum in Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, May 31, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (5/31/2018 UTC) at Norsk Oljemuseum in Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway

På en benk utenfor - der bussene står!

Velkommen til BookCrossing!

Takk for at du fant boka.
Vær vennlig å skriv en kommentar på www.bookcrossing.com, så får vi vite hva som har skjedd med boka.
Du kan være anonym om du vil eller enda kjekkere: bli medlem (det er gratis).
Om du leser boka så kan du skrive hva du synes om den.
Om du slipper den fri igjen så fortell gjerne om det også.
Om du blir medlem så kan du få email som forteller hva som skjer med boka i fremtiden - spennende!

Er det noe du lurer på så sende gjerne et PM (personal message) til meg, Haugtussa, og spør.
Lykke til som bokkrysser.