corner corner Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems

Murder in the Dark: Short Fictions and Prose Poems
by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction
Registered by shovelmonkey1 of Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on 8/29/2009

status (set by MarysGirl): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 29, 2009

Yet another book accquired from the Amorous Cat bookshop on Lark Lane in Liverpool - escaped home for the bank holiday weekend and once again went on a book spree. But 8 books for £20 is not bad! check out the Amorous Cat stock at www.amcat.supanet.com and order your books online (NB I don't own this book shop and they don't give me free stuff for advertising for them - I just like it a lot!) Will read and release at some point soon.

Journal Entry 2 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, August 30, 2009

I really enjoyed this and it only took about an hour to read. I liked the story about creating an ending, the story about why men and women like different types of book and also the tourist tale "was it worth it?" which reminded me of a conversation I once heard at te pyramids in Cairo.

This book is now available to a good home upon request!

Journal Entry 3 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 06, 2009

This book is heading out on a ray... participants so far are
shovelmonkey1 UK (hosting)
jeskawest (US/US)
Elsiah (US/US)
marysgirl (US- Intl)
ahandley (Canada - )

EDIT: This book has now finished its bookray journey so thank you very much to everyone involved who kept this book travelling for the last year and a bit! Marysgirl has now set this book travelling on a new journey so be sure to look out for it!
Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by shovelmonkey1 at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, September 07, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/7/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This book has started its journey on an international ray. please register it when it arrives safely. Many thanks.

Journal Entry 5 by ana-b from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Received the book this morning. Thanks shovelmonkey1.

Journal Entry 6 by ana-b from Gouda, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 24, 2009

What a lovely book. An hour was too short for me, but this afternoon I finished the book. Very peculiar, but lovely, little stories. Thanks shovelmonkey1. I'll take it to the post office tomorrow, back to England.

Journal Entry 7 by ana-b at By mail: to a fellow Bookcrosser in - Per post of in persoon doorgegeven, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, September 24, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/25/2009 UTC) at By mail: to a fellow Bookcrosser in - Per post of in persoon doorgegeven, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

On its way to England.

Journal Entry 8 by mimu from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 01, 2009

Arrived this morning (the first day of my new job)-- thanks for the lovely postcard, Ana-B.

I'll contact the next person on the list right away, as I don't think it's going to take long to read.

Journal Entry 9 by mimu from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 08, 2009

Finished it, having read it in lots of very brief goes (which the book lends itself to). Not my favourite Atwood. but overall, I enjoyed it, and some parts especially so-- 'Happy Endings', for example, and 'Women's novels'. I agree with ana-b that it's a peculiar book!

Journal Entry 10 by mimu at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 08, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/8/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sending in the post to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 11 by Originalmulli from Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, October 12, 2009

This was waiting here for me after a weekend away. Thanks very much!

Journal Entry 12 by Originalmulli from Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, November 08, 2009

Certainly was a strange one this! A fascinating variety of little snippets, and I can't pretend to have understood them all. Some rather 'yucky' for my taste, but a few real gems, and definitely felt that Atwood was being true to herself. Must be nice for a writer to be able to collect together all the bits of randomness that she hasn't found use for in novels etc. :)

Will be on its way to DaveyMF in the morning.

Journal Entry 13 by DaveyMF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Received in the post today: thanks!

Journal Entry 14 by DaveyMF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 17, 2009

That was such a good book! Thanks! Read it in the bath yesterday...

I've always loved Margaret Atwood, but never considered reading this very short writing format before. Easy to read, kept going from one piece to the next... and inspirational! I want to pick up my pen again!

Journal Entry 15 by AliceF at Book Ring!, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (12/15/2009 UTC) at Book Ring!, By Post -- Controlled Releases

On its way!

Journal Entry 16 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, December 19, 2009

Safely arrived with me. Merry christmas everyone!

Journal Entry 17 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, December 31, 2009

The quality of Atwood as a writer shines through in many of these stories, her ability to make you review your initial thoughts or assumptions with a few paragraphs is a great gift.

As Originalmulli stated, it must be interesting to get to a point as a writer that the short stories and beginnings you create can be published as a book.

I have the next readers address and will send this out in the New Year. Thanks for starting the ring shovelmonkey1 and for all the participants before me who sent the book on its journey.

Happy New Year.

Journal Entry 18 by kiwiinengland at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, January 07, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/7/2010 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Posting out to the next on the list on this bitterly cold day in Dublin.

Journal Entry 19 by Oedde from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It has arrived safely and is now sitting on my pile TBR.

I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm interested in Canadian literature and I read a few of Atwood's stories at college and I'm hoping that this one is as good as those were.

Journal Entry 20 by Oedde from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Monday, February 01, 2010

Yes, these stories are awesome! I especially liked #3, like "Women's Novels". I kept looking up words I didn't know. I would have liked to keep the book longer so that I can go back to it any time. But this has to go to the next reader, it absolutely must be read by more people.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 21 by Oedde at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 01, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/1/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

...travelling on...

Journal Entry 22 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, February 15, 2010

Just got it. I still have one to finish before I pick this one but it won't take long.

Journal Entry 23 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, March 01, 2010

Like Tim Winton and T.C. Boyle, Margaret Atwood is one of those writers that I prefer to read in a novel, their short stories always feel like too little.
That being said I did enjoyed reading these short stories and prose poems, the way Atwood tells a story is really something to enjoy, she plays with the words so well that you really feel she comes from the poetry side of writing, and she uses humour in such measured doses… I could fall in love with this woman who writes such beautiful things.
While I liked the way most stories were written I must admit just a few took me to that special Atwood place and not all for the same reasons, the ones I liked the most were: Making Poison, Raw Materials, Murder in the Dark, Simmering, Women’s Novels and Iconography.
Sometimes people ask me what’s all the fuss I make about this author, in this book she provides the perfect explanation. I love Atwood because she can write this:
” If you want to use the third eye you must close the other two. Then breathe evenly; then wait. This sometimes works; on the other hand, sometimes you merely go to sleep. That sometimes works also.”

Journal Entry 24 by Alienagr from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Received it during the weekend!Thank you shovelmonkey1 for the ray and kizmiaz for sending it on!!!!

Journal Entry 25 by Alienagr from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Nice interesting book! Many strange stories, as many have already mentioned, but I surely liked it! Now on its way to atrus!

Journal Entry 26 by Atrus from Reggio Emilia, Emilia Romagna Italy on Saturday, May 15, 2010

Got it today in the mail! :)
I'm going to take a break from 1 Book 1 Twitter and read it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 27 by Atrus from Reggio Emilia, Emilia Romagna Italy on Friday, May 21, 2010

It's not often that you see such an interesting use of the short story, stories so short that often become just images, scenes, fragments from a memory. A very intriguing book, and I'll definitely look for something else to read by this author. :)

Journal Entry 28 by Atrus at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 21, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (5/21/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Nepal!

Journal Entry 29 by winglils74wing at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Monday, June 07, 2010

This arrived safely in the mail today--thanks for sending, Atrus. The envelope got a little ripped in transit (happens often here) but the book, postcard and your card were all safely inside.

I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tale--also by Margaret Atwood, and also a ring, so I will be looking forward to this. I only discovered her this year but I love her writing. This will be my third of her books so far. Incidentally, this was a total surprise--I'd forgotten I'd signed up for this ring. Does that happen to anyone else, or am I just getting old? ;)

Journal Entry 30 by winglils74wing at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Read this book in just a couple of days; as usual for Atwood, it is wonderfully well written. But I did enjoy this less than her other books I've read (Good Bones, The Handmaid's Tale). I think it's because while I loved her writing, this book had less of a story to drive it along; some of it was rather abstract and I didn't totally "get" it all. Still, I'm glad to have read another of hers--I'd like to read them all!

Journal Entry 31 by winglils74wing at A bookray, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/12/2010 UTC) at A bookray, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Mailed this out yesterday (site won't let me back date the release). A fun bit of trivia is that I mailed out three books yesterday--two bookrings and sweepstakes RABCK--and they were all Margaret Atwood books!

Journal Entry 32 by icekween01 at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, June 25, 2010

Arrived safe and sound today. Thank you so much lils74!

Journal Entry 33 by icekween01 at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Thursday, August 26, 2010

I am so terribly sorry for stalling this ring. It got buried underneath a pile of stuff. I am usually quite responsible. I have the address for the next participant and will get this out asap. I am truly sorry.

Journal Entry 34 by icekween01 at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Thursday, September 02, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/2/2010 UTC) at St. Louis, Missouri USA

Putting this one in the mail to the next participant today. I don't know how I feel about this one. I LOVE her novels so much but I can't say I'm a fan of her short stories or prose.
This is the second book of her short stories/prose I've read and I didn't care for either. I think I will stick to her novels from now on. So terribly sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 35 by jeskawest at Bellevue, Washington USA on Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Just picked this one up from the mailbox. I'm reading another bc book right now, and this one will be next one my list!

Journal Entry 36 by jeskawest at Bellevue, Washington USA on Sunday, September 12, 2010

A very quick read. I love Margaret Atwood's writing style, although I am not always a fan of her short stories. In this book I loved the stories in section three. Her sense of humor is so biting; she always makes me laugh. I prefer her novels, but it is fun to read something different from time to time.

Journal Entry 37 by jeskawest at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/14/2010 UTC) at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the next person on the list - Elsiah.

Journal Entry 38 by Elsiah at New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Sunday, September 19, 2010

Came in the mail a few days ago. (Thanks!) I actually just finished Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for a class, so I'm excited to read this. I have another BC book to finish up first though.

Journal Entry 39 by Elsiah at Pensacola, Florida USA on Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I greatly enjoyed some of the stories, and others completely missed their mark. I agree that I prefer Atwood's longer fiction.

I'm sorry I stalled the ray for so long. School got in the way. I'll send this on its way as soon as the post office cools down from Christmas and I get back into town. Happy Holidays!

Journal Entry 40 by Elsiah at Pensacola, Florida USA on Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (12/28/2010 UTC) at Pensacola, Florida USA

Sent on its way this morning. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 41 by MarysGirl at Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, January 06, 2011

Arrived a couple of days ago, but got lost in the pile of holiday stuff. This looks good and I'll move it to the top of my TBR list. Thanks for setting this up shovelmonkey1!

Journal Entry 42 by MarysGirl at Brooklyn, New York USA on Saturday, January 15, 2011

Finished this on a short train ride. I love Margaret Atwood and these brief flash fictions and prose poems don't disappoint. From "Mute": "They think you can't talk, they're sorry for you, but. But you're waiting for the word, the one that will finally be right. A compound, the generation of life, mud and light."

Yeah, like that.

Journal Entry 43 by MarysGirl at Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, April 14, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (4/14/2011 UTC) at Brooklyn, New York USA

Going to Friends of Cortelyou Library for a charity booksale. Good luck, Book. Hope you find a wonderful home!

Journal Entry 44 by MarysGirl at Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, April 15, 2011

I should have made this JE before the release note yesterday, but forgot. Just wanted to let everyone in the ray know that I did try to contact ahandley in Canada (twice) but didn't hear back. S/he has only registered one book and only commented in the forums four times (all on the same day s/he joined in 2009) so I'm assuming s/he's inactive. Since I was the last one in the ray, it fell to me to move the book on. Sorry for any confusion I caused!