Bright Shiny Morning CD

by James frey | Audiobooks |
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 8/29/2009
Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, August 29, 2009
"Dozens of characters pass across the reader's sight lines--some never to be seen again--but James Frey lingers on a handful of LA's lost souls and captures the dramatic narrative of their lives: a bright, ambitious young Mexican-American woman who allows her future to be undone by a moment of searing humiliation; a supremely narcissistic action-movie star whose passion for the unattainable object of his affection nearly destroys him; a couple, both nineteen years old, who flee their suffocating hometown and struggle to survive on the fringes of the great city; and an aging Venice Beach alcoholic whose life is turned upside down when a meth-addled teenage girl shows up half-dead outside the restroom he calls home."

A wishlist book, acquired through PaperBackSwap.com (Unabridged on 11 CD's; read by Ben Foster)

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, September 18, 2009
I think the blurb on the back of this novel (audiobook, in this case) perfectly describes it: "Dozens of characters pass across the listener's consciousness -- but James Frey lingers on a handful of LA's lost souls and captures the dramatic narrative of their lives . . . ."

Despite the controversy following "A Million Little Pieces", I found that book to be well-written & I'm now convinced to an even greater degree that James Frey can write. True, his style is rather scattered & unconventional and may put some readers off. And that does indeed tend to create a little bit of confusion when trying to distinguish dialogue & narrative. But I also think that's what makes Frey unique. His books are the type that you can sit down and devour because you just find yourself sucked in & have trouble putting the book down.

This book in particular provides the reader with more of an experience as opposed to a story. Taken in pieces, it's a mixture of snapshots, dialogues, characterizations, dramas, histories, & statistics somehow related to Los Angeles, but it's meshed in such a way that it fits altogether, despite its various formats. I listened to this on audio & thought it was very well done by the reader, Ben Foster. My only minor criticisms would be that sometimes the statistics were a bit lengthy (esp. on audio, where you can't really skim over them) and there was a rather excessive use of the "F" word throughout, which might be offensive to some. Overall, this was a very engaging read & highly recommended.

Journal Entry 3 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, October 29, 2010
Placing into my CD Audio BookBox (2).

Journal Entry 4 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, March 09, 2011
This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, California before continuing its travels in indygo88's CD Audio Bookbox!

Journal Entry 5 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Pulled this one out of indygo88's CD-only Audiobookbox. Plan to listen to soon.

Journal Entry 6 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Monday, May 09, 2011
At times it was a bit hard to follow all the different characters, as the author tried to weave in and out of their stories, not to mention interspersing data comprised of history and statistics about Los Angeles, but this one kept my attention pretty good throughout the 11 CDs.

I do have to say that there are characters in the book I keep thinking about, which has to be a sign that the writer knows what he's doing.

Will put this in the next audiobookbox that comes my way......

Released 9 yrs ago (5/17/2011 UTC) at BigJohnLefty's Another AudiobookBox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

It's time to set this one free -- enjoy!

This is going into my CD-only Audiobookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, June 01, 2011
It always amuses me when books I've previously seen/owned/read briefly return to me through bookboxes. It's like when you used to be able to go to the library and pull out the check-out record from inside the book, and see your name from several years before or see a friend who read the book after you. Ah, life before computers seems so nostalgic now...

Anyway.

This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, California before continuing its visit in BigJohnLefty's Another Audiobookbox.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, July 04, 2011
I didn't realize that this book was written by the same author of A Million Little Pieces, which I haven't read but heard lots of... mostly the negative publicity about how things were made up in his memoir. Now I knew, this book piques my interest. Apparently, at least according to the Amazon reviews, the author is truly better at making up stories than writing about facts. I am a bit wary about the writing style but will give it a try.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, February 15, 2013
This book has several plots going on, about different people living in L.A.: a homeless living at the Santa Monica pier, a young couple of transplants hoping to start a life together, a famous actor, a young Mexican American working as a house cleaner. Add to that some FUN facts about L.A., and more pieces about lives in the big city that almost felt like drafts from a writing workshop... and the result is a surprisingly entertaining book, where you end up caring about the characters and eager to learn of what happens. Well, some get a happy ending, some don't.

The reader is pretty good, though sometimes he yells so loud that it gets a bit annoying, especially when using the F word.

This book now awaits the next audio box.

Journal Entry 11 by wingAzukiwing at Audiobook Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 17, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (5/17/2013 UTC) at Audiobook Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting into booklady331's audio CD bookbox.

Journal Entry 12 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, June 02, 2013
Arrived with many friends traveling in BookLady331's "CDs ONLY" Bookbox (Link) It's not going to be staying here, so back into the box it goes to continue its journey around the USA!

Journal Entry 13 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, June 07, 2013
Arrived home in my "CDs ONLY" Bookbox . It's going to be staying in the box to continue its journey in the box. Trust it finds a new home.

Journal Entry 14 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Friday, August 09, 2013
Curious to hear the various plots evolving. I hope I can follow it...
Taking it out of booklady's331 audio book box.

Journal Entry 15 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Saturday, January 11, 2014
Loved all the different stories about people in LA plus the facts and figures. The whole weaved very neatly together!

Journal Entry 16 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Friday, February 28, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (2/28/2014 UTC) at Houston, Texas USA

Sent to the winner of the audiobook sweepstake. Congratulations!

Journal Entry 17 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Wednesday, March 05, 2014
Ok - I mixed this one up. I should have send you The Drunkards Walk for the non-fiction VBB which went to the person that should have received this audiobook from me. I will sort things out - so far, I hope you enjoy this audiobook, too!

Journal Entry 18 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Saturday, March 08, 2014
Heh. I received this and though, hmmm...what is this from? Looks interesting. Want me to forward it on to the winner?

Journal Entry 19 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Monday, March 17, 2014
Keep this or pass it on. I am sending another audiobook to the winner and you will get the VBB book passed on. (Might take a little while as I have to get to the post office first.)

Journal Entry 20 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (6/15/2014 UTC) at Houston, Texas USA

It is still at its former place. Writing this release note to remove it from my shelf.