Red Azalea

by Anchee Min | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Chania of Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on 8/14/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Friday, August 14, 2009

“[An] extraordinary story. . . . This memoir of sexual freedom is [both] a powerful political as well as literary statement.” —The New York Times OK

In Red Azalea, Anchee Min remembers with clarity and poignancy growing up during China’s Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution (1966–1976). She experienced abject poverty, brutal physical hardship, first love, and loss, all during this extraordinary and terrifying period of China’s history. Despite her being subject to the exploitation and abuse of the oppressive and evil regime of Mao Tse-tung and his wife, Jiang Ching, Min’s memoir portrays an indomitable mind, body, and spirit that refuse to be crushed.

Edit: Note to myself: Send to ApoloniaX afterwards!

Journal Entry 2 by Chania from Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Saturday, November 07, 2009
A fascinating, wonderful book!
These memoirs started with Min's childhood in Shanghai, then she was assigned to work in the farm in countryside. In "model farm" she learns obedience, hard work, and has to live in harsh conditions but she also finds the love of her life. Later Min gets a change to become a film star.
This story was moving, the language was beautiful. I enjoyed it very much!

Sending to ApoloniaX soon.

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Received it in the mail today.
Thank you so much, Chania!
I'll try to read it soon so it can join the next round of my Asian VBB.

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, November 30, 2009
Sometimes the story stretches a bit when I think the author should move on with what happened and at the same time I had the feeling she leaves a lot unsaid. But I think it's a very interesting account about life at one of those Maoist communal farms and then as an actress for Maoist propaganda films - Anchee Min's own biography. I'd certainly recommend it, especially if you're interested in Chinese history / the Cultural Revolution.

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Contemporary Asian Literature, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 10, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/11/2009 UTC) at Contemporary Asian Literature, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This book was part of the Contemporary Asian Literature VBB and is travelling to chucklesthescot now.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 17, 2009
Chosen from ApoloniaX's brilliant virtual bookbox. I've been looking forward to reading this book for ages so thanks for putting me top of the list!

Journal Entry 7 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 10, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (4/12/2010 UTC) at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom

This book is travelling as part of ApoloniaX's bookrelay. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, May 03, 2010
Thanks chuckles, the book's in Finland (again :D)!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, October 06, 2010
At first I thought the language was clumsy, but then I got sucked into the story and forgot about the style for the most part. (What most bothered me about it was the dialogue: "she said," "he said," "she said," and so on. I also flinched every time she used the verb "to shit" :D). Anyway, as I said, the story was fascinating. I've read quite a number of accounts of life in Maoist China lately, but it's still shocking to me how little human life was worth in the country those days (and still is, the cause is just different these days). No wonder people became dehumanized too.

This book will now travel to megami-no-ushi in Canada, as part of ApoloniaX's East Asian VBB.

Journal Entry 10 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 15, 2010
it arrived in the mail today, thank you! I'm looking forward to reading this one though it's to mount TBR for the moment!

Journal Entry 11 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 06, 2010
This was an interesting book, thanks for sharing!

I found Little Green's story particularly haunting as it shows how the communist party twisted ideals of gender equality to the enslavement of the people. I particularly hate the way they've twisted the idea of rape: turning consensual sex between two people who love each other into a mockery of female sexual subgugation or assault because the couple in question had broken party rules of comradely asexuality.

Journal Entry 12 by megami-no-ushi at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 13, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (11/13/2010 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the November meet up to see if anyone wants to read it, otherwise it's coming home with me again!

Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 13 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 13, 2010
Picked this book up from the Calgary BookCrossing meet-up group today.

Years ago I read "Red China Blues: My long march from Mao to now", a Canadian ethnic Chinese woman's experience of the Cultural Revolution. This book stayed with me for a long time, so I am very interesting in reading the perspective from a National.

It's also thrilling to be entrusted with the contined journey of a book that has already travelled so far!

Thank you.

Journal Entry 14 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (2/12/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

With BookCrossing I keep reading books I really don't want to read - and respecting the knowledge and insight that comes along with the process.

A very compelling story that makes me want to know more about the years that followed and how the Cultural Revolution is viewed in hindsight.

Will be taking this to the February BookCrossing Calgary Meet-up, to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 15 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 13, 2011
Grabbed at Josuha Tree Cafe get together

Journal Entry 16 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, November 04, 2011
A very different, and oddly romantic & sexy, account of growing up in communist China. The writing is rough, but her life drew me in. So I found it hard to put down. I wish I knew more about where her life took her after the book ended.

Thanks for the read!

Journal Entry 17 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (11/12/2011 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together at the Joshua Tree Cafe

Journal Entry 18 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 13, 2011
Picked up at the Nov. meeting.

Journal Entry 19 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 29, 2012
It is hard to imagine having your life so controlled by others. Disturbing book an one that hooks your emotions. My - I would have had a hard time being a good communist!

Journal Entry 20 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this book to the July meeting at Joshua Tree Cafe. I have had it since November 2011!

Journal Entry 21 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Picked up at August 2012 Calgary meetup.

Journal Entry 22 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, September 27, 2012
I couldn't finish this book for some reason. The material was fascinating, but it couldn't draw me in. After reading a good half of it I ended up moving on.

Will be brought to next B/C meetup.

Journal Entry 23 by reader_yz at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2012
safely in my hands

Journal Entry 24 by reader_yz at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 02, 2012

Emotional and disturbing. It is interesting to see how nice mottos 'it's not hard for a person to do a couple of good things for others' get twisted into a weapon, but would be miserable to live through something like that.
Found the sentence structure slightly repetitive, but overall easy to read.

Will bring to the next BC meeting.

Journal Entry 25 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 08, 2012
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing December meeting. The historical setting of the book appealed to me, so I thought it was worth a look.

Journal Entry 26 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 30, 2012
Wow, Communism is depressing. I couldn't imagine living in China during the Cultural Revolution. Life sounded absolutely horrible if you didn't agree with Mao and the party's policies. I expected something completely different when I started the book, but the story I did get wasn't any less compelling.

Journal Entry 27 by locker-monster at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 12, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (1/12/2013 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book at the Calgary BookCrossing January meet-up. If it didn't go home with someone, it's on the bookshelf.

Journal Entry 28 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 31, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (1/31/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Sharing this book with a work buddy.

Journal Entry 29 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 23, 2013
This book is back in my hands and will be finding another Calgary reader.

Journal Entry 30 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/11/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Handing off to a fellow BookCrosser to take to the May meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 31 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2013
Picked up at May's BookCrossing meeting, there were no takers for it so I am holding onto it until the next meeting where perhaps people will be interested.

Journal Entry 32 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 08, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (6/8/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to June's meeting. Hopefully it will find a new reader here.

Journal Entry 33 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (9/14/2013 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the September meeting.

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 34 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 15, 2013
Back to me, for safe keeping...

Journal Entry 35 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (7/12/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the July Meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 36 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (10/7/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Sending to my friend, hovey. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 37 by hovey at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, November 07, 2014
Book Crossing meeting Calgary 11, 2014 from my friend Fracula

Journal Entry 38 by hovey at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

controlled release

Journal Entry 39 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, June 16, 2015
This book is back in my hands.

Journal Entry 40 by fracula at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 10, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (7/11/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the July meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 41 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 13, 2015
Picked up at the meetup on Sat. I better read this one fast, it is not in very good shape, poor book