A Secret Atlas

by Michael A. Stackpole | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 8/7/2009
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, August 07, 2009
Looks interesting, but I don't seem to be getting around to this, so I'm going to let it go.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 08, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (8/8/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Mailing to the Book Thing.

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Free your books - help spread the words!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Picked this up at the Book Thing in Baltimore, Maryland, this past weekend. I was very excited to find a BookCrossing book, and it looks like something I'd enjoy. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, March 15, 2010
I am taking this with me on vacation to Japan. If I finish reading it before I get back, I will release it there and make release notes when I return.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 28, 2010
Unfortunately, I did not finish reading this while I was in Japan. This book did travel to Tokyo and Osaka - and then back to Virginia once again.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, April 01, 2010
The Anturasi family have been mapmakers for generations. This puts them in a unique position of power, since without maps trade and travel suffer. It has been almost 800 years since The Cataclysm, a magical holocaust which both literally and figuratively changed the face of the world, and everyone is still getting things sorted out. This is (more or less) the story of three of the Anturasi children: studious Keles, adventurous Jorim, and soul-searching Nirati. Keles is sent west to survey the lands where dangerous wild magic still has a great hold. Jorim is sent east in a ship to find a new route to the west (and his voyage is similar to Columbus's in many ways). Nirati, concerned that she still does not exhibit a Talent, gets tangled up in local politics. Of course, this is barely scratching the surface. Like many fantasy epics, the characters and subplots are numerous. It is clear that a lot of world-building went into this book, and much time is spent explaining customs, fashions, and history. This doesn't seem distracting at first, but I did find I lost the thread of the plot on several occasions. Nirati's tale in particular confused me; I feel like I somehow skipped a chapter or something. Keles and Jorim's adventures, on the other hand, were great - once they finally got started. I was especially fascinated by the effects of wild magic, how it moves in storms with unpredictable results. It's unfortunate that this is the first book of a trilogy, which meant the ending was unsatisfying and things cut off just as the plot had at last begun to move along well. It simply does not stand on its own. I would probably read the other books were I to come across them, but I'm not sure I'll seek them out. While this was certainly not a boring read and I had no problem churning through many chapters in a sitting, it is not something I thought about when I wasn't reading. It was simply something to pass the time. So while I really enjoyed the world it was set in, I would have appreciated a tighter story.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, April 09, 2010
Bringing this to the BC in DC meet at Union Station, Washington, DC, tomorrow. I hope it finds a new reader.

Journal Entry 8 by crrcookie from Tecumseh, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, April 11, 2010
I decided that this book needed a few more travels so I snagged it to take to the 2010 BookCrossing Convention in Amsterdam.

Journal Entry 9 by WistfulDragon at Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 30, 2010
Oh, bother.

I have just found a new author, and this is the first book of a trilogy.

What is worse, he has written a whole load of other books.

This book has so much: principalities that vie with each other, beaurocracies that vie with their leaders, an older race that has been dispossessed, the aftermath of a magical cataclysm, and areas where the wild magic still holds sway - with the danger that men discovering old artifacts could bring about another cataclysm.

Then add in a voyage to new lands where one man is taken to be an ancient god that has at last returned....

I have to find Cartomancy and The New Land!!!!

Journal Entry 10 by WistfulDragon at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (6/8/2010 UTC) at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - WistfulDragon - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading