Mary Modern

by Camille DeAngelis | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by guinaveve of Mason, Ohio USA on 8/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Tuesday, August 04, 2009
I loved the premise for this book. A scientist clones her dead grandmother, who died elderly several years before, as she was when she was in her early 20s. I figured the book would be focused on the differences in lifestyle from the 1920's versus modern 2008 and the cloned young woman's adaption to those difference. This is included, but is a secondary focus of the story. I still liked it, but felt the book idea had so much more potential.
Once I finished it, I had to put some thought into what exactly happened. I saw the ending coming, but there were some loose ends that took a bit of pondering for me to figure out. Also, as is common, family names repeat themselves and dates are important, so there are details to be kept straight in order for the story to really have full impact.
All in all, this was a good book, just not fully what I expected.

Released 9 yrs ago (1/21/2010 UTC) at by postal services in Sent by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

From your wish list...I am sending this as a prize for my 2009 Keep Them Moving Challenge!

Journal Entry 3 by wingtime-travelerwing from Peekskill, New York USA on Wednesday, February 17, 2010
guinaveve, thank you so much for sending me this wishlist book as a prize. You can be sure I will read this book soon, then pass it on for the 2010 Keep Them Moving Challenge. You're the best!

Journal Entry 4 by wingtime-travelerwing from Peekskill, New York USA on Saturday, February 27, 2010
I really enjoyed reading this, despite the fact that the "twists" were predictable. I loved the description of the old house with the secret passageways and hidden keys; I enjoyed the love story between Mary and Teddy; I loved the family secrets and I loved the contradiction of such modern technology being in the basement of that old house.

However, I have a pet peeve...when I read fiction, I don't like when the author weaves in politics. There's too much of that in the real world without having it invade a good story! It irked me that the author kept bringing up politics and unpopular politicians. Sorry, but no trick-or-treaters who came to my house on Halloween 2009 were dressed as 'Dubya' or Tom DeLay "the Congressman who is going to jail". Seriously, what kid would even know who Tom DeLay is? It just didn't fit in the story. If not for this, I would have given the book a 9 rating.

I will definitely pass this book along, it's a great story otherwise. In fact, once I started it, I couldn't put it down & read it in 2 days. It's bizarre enough to put into the bizarre fiction bookbox I'm sending out soon. Thanks again, guinaveve, for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 5 by wingtime-travelerwing at Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 28, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/28/2010 UTC) at Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Adding to the Bizarre Bookbox. Released for guinaveve's 2010 Keep Them Moving Challenge and Jare's 2010 Chills & Spills Read & Release Challenge February's theme is zombies. This story involves successful cloning, which is zombie-like.

Journal Entry 6 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Friday, April 16, 2010
This is SO much my kind of book. I haven't been through the whole box yet, but I know I will be choosing this one.

Journal Entry 7 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Sunday, May 16, 2010
I almost put this book down after the first few chapters because I wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Once Mary is "born" the book became much more interesting. I loved that the house had secret passages and all the old things that were left behind by the ancestors. I actually did not predict some of the twists that were revealed near the end of the book, though others before me said it was predicable. I did not care for the political bits and all the discussion in the beginning about the science of cloning, but this was otherwise a pretty good book that I couldn't put down once it finally caught my interest.

Journal Entry 8 by ladybug74 at Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/17/2010 UTC) at Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

releasing into JennyC1230's ABC bookbox

Journal Entry 9 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, August 17, 2010
This book came home in JennyC1230's ABC (Already Been Crossed) Bookbox.

This looks like an interesting book that I would like to read. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, September 23, 2012
I haven't read this one, but I have too many books in TBR, so I'm going to let some books go without reading them.

Journal Entry 11 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, May 15, 2017
Putting into the 19th round of Bookstogive's General Literature VBB.