A Spy in the House of Love

by Anais Nin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCandyDarlingwing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 7/31/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingCandyDarlingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 31, 2009
Beautiful, bored and bourgeoise, Sabina leads a double life inspired by her relentless desire for brief encounters with near-strangers. Fired into faithlessness by a desperate longing for sexual fulfilment, she weaves a sensual web of deceit across New York. But when the secrecy of her affairs becomes too much to bear, Sabina makes a late night phone-call to a stranger from a bar, and begins a confession that captivates the unknown man and soon inspires him to seek her out.

About the Author
Anais Nin (1903-1977) French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. In the early 1940s she wrote a series of specifically sexual pieces, which were edited and published posthumously as DELTA OF VENUS (1977) and LITTLE BIRDS (1979).

Journal Entry 2 by wingCandyDarlingwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (3/10/2015 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Released at the Helsinki BC meetup. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by Niksu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 10, 2015
From the meet up tonight.

Journal Entry 4 by Niksu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 25, 2016
I read Anais Nin during my youth and student years. I started to collect her journals from second hand bookstores and those books had influence to my diarykeeping as well. Oh those days! I would have liked this more back then. Now I felt only pity or sorrow towards the main character. Very well written. I only regret not having read Madame Bovary, maybe would have got more of this book then?

Journal Entry 5 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 28, 2016
I took this with me from the bc-meetup. I try to read smaller books and this one looked interesting.

Journal Entry 6 by slipperbunny at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 31, 2017
It was hard for me to get into the story, mostly because I didn't really like the main caharacter. Lately I've been having thouble with finding likable characters in books.

Released 10 mos ago (5/23/2018 UTC) at Rikhardinkadun kirjasto in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Going to take this with me tomorrow's meetup and if no-one take this home then it goes to the recycling shelf in the library nearby.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, May 23, 2018
Another classic I haven't read, yet. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, October 20, 2018
Beautifully written and poetic, but a bit hard going at times. I found it very difficult to relate to Sabina, but then she's a creation of a different era. I would love to time travel to 1950s New York, though!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, November 02, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (10/30/2018 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Travelling as part of Tanamo's Occupational bookring. Let's see where it eventually ends up!

Journal Entry 11 by 3vie at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, November 17, 2018
Chosen from the occupational bookring