Go Ask Alice

by Unknown | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Tintti of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 6/7/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, June 07, 2003
"The actual story of a desperate girl on drugs and on the run who almost made it."

Based on the actual diary of a fifteen-year-old drug user.

June 9, 2003: Sent to AngelKitty.

Journal Entry 2 by AngelKitty from Denver, Colorado USA on Wednesday, November 05, 2003
You can't ask Alice anything anymore... But you can do something--read her diary. Strong, painfully honest, nakedly candid. The actual story of a deesperate girl on drugs and on the run who almost made it.

Note from the Editors: Go Ask Alice is based on the actual diary of a fifteen-year-old drug user. It is not a definitive statement n the middle-class teenage drug world. It does not offer any solutions. It is, however, a highly personal and specific chronicle. As such, we hope it will provide insights into the increasingly complicated world in which we live.

So, I finally got around to reading this one. I've got to say that it's kind of a gripping read. I wish we could see how heavily edited it is, though. Sometimes, her grammar is just a little too perfect, when at other times she writes like she wants to sound older. One of the amazing things is that when she goes straight for the last time, she talks about the old her and the new her. It's more than a little dated, but that's to be expected. I will try to release this at a high school/junior high.

Journal Entry 3 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, January 24, 2004
Thank you so much for this surprise of a book waiting for me on my return from a long visit home. I'm really looking forward to reading it as it's one of those I never got around to as a 'youth' heh.

Journal Entry 4 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 25, 2004
When I first heard about this book, I understood that it was an actual diary of a 15 year old girl (or based on an actual diary as it were). I've been tricked a little because it appears that it is based on the mythical diaries of the actual teenage girls studied by the author who is or was a psychologist. I feel unfairly tricked by this.

The heavy moralising and swift degeneration of the teenager in question were too much for me. This book is so staged it's almost the script of an after school special. The idea that drug use immediately leads to addiction, prostitution and gasp homosexuality really irritated me as did the 'far out man' dialogue of the stoner 'Alice'.

While drug use leads to many different paths, even some of those highlighted in this book, it doesn't lead to all of them and not every time. I think this book as social commentary fails dismally but as a wake up call to middle class white society in the 1970's I imagine this book would have been terrifying. Apparently nice girls 'do'.

Released on Sunday, April 25, 2004 at Ferry in London, England United Kingdom.

Left on the lower deck of the Westminster to Greenwich passenger ferry. What a lovely way to make your way along the Thames on a sunny day.