The Distant Land of My Father

by Bo Caldwell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by loveamystery of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 7/23/2009
Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 23, 2009
Amazon Editorial Review:
Anna, the narrator of this riveting first novel, lives in a storybook world: exotic pre- World War II Shanghai, with handsome young parents, wealth, and comfort. Her father, the son of missionaries, leads a charmed and secretive life, though his greatest joy is sharing his beloved city with his only daughter. Yet when Anna and her mother flee Japanese-occupied Shanghai to return to California, he stays behind, believing his connections and a little bit of luck will keep him safe.
Through Anna's memories and her father's journals we learn of his fall from charismatic millionaire to tortured prisoner, in a story of betrayal and reconciliation that spans two continents. The Distant Land of My Father, a breathtaking and richly lyrical debut, unfolds to reveal an enduring family love through tragic circumstances.

Looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, January 12, 2010
This was a wonderful story. It was difficult to read at times, but well worth it. I highly recommend it.

This book is going into my Family Members VBB.