The House at Sugar Beach: In Search of a Lost African Childhood

by Helene Cooper | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by rootmartin of Wellesley, Massachusetts USA on 7/22/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rootmartin from Wellesley, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Product Description

Helene Cooper is "Congo," a descendant of two Liberian dynasties -- traced back to the first ship of freemen that set sail from New York in 1820 to found Monrovia. Helene grew up at Sugar Beach, a twenty-two-room mansion by the sea. Her childhood was filled with servants, flashy cars, a villa in Spain, and a farmhouse up-country. It was also an African childhood, filled with knock foot games and hot pepper soup, heartmen and neegee. When Helene was eight, the Coopers took in a foster child -- a common custom among the Liberian elite. Eunice, a Bassa girl, suddenly became known as "Mrs. Cooper's daughter."

For years the Cooper daughters -- Helene, her sister Marlene, and Eunice -- blissfully enjoyed the trappings of wealth and advantage. But Liberia was like an unwatched pot of water left boiling on the stove. And on April 12, 1980, a group of soldiers staged a coup d'état, assassinating President William Tolbert and executing his cabinet. The Coopers and the entire Congo class were now the hunted, being imprisoned, shot, tortured, and raped. After a brutal daylight attack by a ragtag crew of soldiers, Helene, Marlene, and their mother fled Sugar Beach, and then Liberia, for America. They left Eunice behind.

A world away, Helene tried to assimilate as an American teenager. At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill she found her passion in journalism, eventually becoming a reporter for the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. She reported from every part of the globe -- except Africa -- as Liberia descended into war-torn, third-world hell.

In 2003, a near-death experience in Iraq convinced Helene that Liberia -- and Eunice -- could wait no longer. At once a deeply personal memoir and an examination of a violent and stratified country, The House at Sugar Beach tells of tragedy, forgiveness, and transcendence with unflinching honesty and a survivor's gentle humor. And at its heart, it is a story of Helene Cooper's long voyage home.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, March 02, 2010
Book has arrived, thanks. Won at th Bio/Memoir swap on BookObsessed. I've seen this book offered a few times in various swaps so I am sure it's a good one.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, November 13, 2011
I have to admit I didn't like the book initially - it was just some spoiled, rich kid bragging about her privilege life and distinguished pedigree, and I honestly can't say I care about that. As the autobiography continues, however, the humanity of it expands, and I can better relate to the author.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at PBS member in PBS, PaperBackSwap.com -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 27, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/26/2012 UTC) at PBS member in PBS, PaperBackSwap.com -- Controlled Releases

Sending to a PBSer in RI.

Hi! Congratulations on finding a very special BookCrossing book.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Visit also the BookCrossing community to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!