20th Century Ghosts

by Joe Hill | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 8/11/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Rec'd via Paperbackswap.com.
Audio CDs.

From Publishers Weekly
After the release of Hill's acclaimed novel Heart-Shaped Box, this collection of his short fiction, originally published in Britain two years ago made its way to the United States. Hill, the son of horror master Stephen King, runs a diverse gamut that includes some unapologetic chillers along the lines of the book's title story. Yet the essence of his material could best be described as a hybrid that connects the ironic twists from episodes of The Twilight Zone with the angst and vulnerability of childhood and adolescence. David LeDoux, whose previous audiobook credits include Douglas Coupland's Hey Nostradamus! and Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants, demonstrates an especially keen knack for capturing the cadence of teen and young adult male speech patterns, with equal parts deadpan cool and quivering tension. Hill's novella Voluntary Committal provides a sublime experience of jarring suspense and compelling family drama. Admittedly, a few of the briefer works may leave listeners longing for more fully developed story lines, but Hill consistently manages to evoke emotional responses and provoke unsettling questions, which makes for a worthwhile experience.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Friday, September 11, 2009
started listening to this earlier today :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Friday, September 18, 2009
Thoughts on what I've heard so far:
Best New Horror: This was more interesting for the narrator's thoughts on seeing the same plots over and over again in his role as editor of an annual horror anthology than for the plot of the story itself. The narrator is looking for an author, and once he tracks the author down to his house creepy stuff happens. Eh. The ending was very Stephen King-esque to me, left open to the reader. But the character's thoughts were interesting. 7 stars.

20th Century Ghosts: I liked the idea of a ghost that watches movies and interacts with patrons. I mean, you always hear about haunted theatres, but usually it's the stage kind, not the movies. I'm not so sure I like the 'twist' ending with the ghost, but the set-up was great. 8 stars.

Pop Art: This wasn't a horror novel. It was quirky and I loved it. A kid's best friend is a balloon-doll boy, and they have not-quite-wacky hijinks together. The plot was very well done; Hill took a weird idea and really ran with it. 10 stars.

You Will Hear the Locust Sing: Stupid bug. Didn't liket his one. I didn't like that Kafka story, either. 3 stars of bitterness and cranky rage.

Journal Entry 4 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Friday, September 18, 2009
Listening to Abraham's Boys now. Unfortunately the CD seems to be scratched up and my player can't read it. My CD player's pretty ancient tho' so it could just be that.

So I like this story, Abraham's Boys. I never liked the character of Van Hellsing in the novel Dracula because he was annoying, so I thought this story suited him just fine. Weird seeing him in a modern setting though. 7.5 stars.

Better Than Home: Y'know, I didn't care for 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' and I didn't care for this story. I think I just don't like autistic/developmentally disabled narrators. The fact that baseball figured so prominently, a sport I've never liked, didn't help much. 4 stars.

Journal Entry 5 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
I listened to the first 6 disks in this collection. I had varying responses to the stories, as you saw above. Then, for several days I misplaced the second set of CDs and thought I lost them. Even though I have found them again, I just don't feel like listening to the rest of the stories. I've had enough Joe Hill for now, I guess.

Journal Entry 6 by wingk00kaburrawing at www.PaperBackSwap.com, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/22/2009 UTC) at www.PaperBackSwap.com, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases

sent to Nickie Engle of Dundee, FL to fulfill a request on Paperbackswap.com!