Written on the Body

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0099193914 Global Overview for this book
Registered by shovelmonkey1 of Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on 7/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 19, 2009
Another one from the 1001 books list, spotted in the lovely Amorous Cat bookshop on Lark Lane. This is an excellent book shop that also sells on the internet - check them out at www.amcat.supanet.com they ship abroad to the US and Oz quite cheaply too and have a wide selections of books. (Disclaimer, i'm nothing to do with this book shop and will not make any money or get free books for advertising for them - i just like it a lot!)

Journal Entry 2 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, August 02, 2009
I liked this book a lot although i was dubious about it first as the first ten pages were quite hard going. For a while I couldn't quite work out what kind of book it was going to be. In places its a lot more like poetry than prose and the descriptions are very vivid. A good read and it suprised me as its not something i would normally pick. Another one ticked off the 1001 books list anyway.

Journal Entry 3 by shovelmonkey1 at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, August 02, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/3/2009 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending onto KJSkye as promised. Hope you like this one. Now that it's yours its up to you where it goes next!

Journal Entry 4 by KJSkye from Hengelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, August 14, 2009
This book arrived today along with a lovely postcard of Liverpool. I hope to visit there oneday! Thank you shovelmonkey1 for this RABCK. After reading your review on this book I am now curious about it. I hope to get around to reading it soon.

Amazon Editorial Review:
A novel of loss and love, and a philosophical meditation on the body. The novel explores the body as a physical entity and as an image of our innermost selves in order to reveal more about the phenomenon of love.

Journal Entry 5 by KJSkye from Hengelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, August 24, 2009
Oh wow! I loved this book! It was very hard to get into at first. It took me longer than it took the first reader, (shovelmonkey1), to get into it, around 30 pages in and I started to get hooked. Full of emotions, both beautiful and sad! Even though I have read it now, it is all still a bit of a mystery to me! I would definitely recommend it.
chamonix44 will be reading this next.

Journal Entry 6 by KJSkye at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/26/2009 UTC) at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands

I went to visit chamonix44 in Almelo today, and I gave her this book to read.

I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did, mum!

Journal Entry 7 by chamonix44 from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, August 27, 2009
Sorry that I am a day late in journalling this book. I received it yesterday from KJSkye, and after reading what shovelmonkey1 and KJSkye have written after reading it, I'm intrigued. So I started reading it last night. I'm up to page 30 so far. I'll journal my review of the book once I have finished it.

Since there are already a couple of pics of this book here, I decided to take a pic of a little message that is written inside the book!

Cute eh? I hope Bo Bo appreciated the book!

Journal Entry 8 by chamonix44 from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, August 29, 2009
It took me even longer than the other two readers, (above), to get into this book....around 50 pages, and then I was drawn into it. The strange thing is that the narrator never reveals his or her gender. One minute I was thinking it was a man, and the next minute I thought it was a woman, but I'm still not sure! This is some book, as it takes you on a journey of emotions....love, hope, adoration, pain, loss, and more.

I personally know what it's like to lose someone who you live and breathe.....someone who you are reminded of in every place that you go, and with almost every memory that you have.....everything you touch and feel.....that person is always there in your thoughts. This book brought all these emotions back to me. It's a very moving book. Unusual but good and I think the story will leave an imprint on everyone who reads it!

Journal Entry 9 by chamonix44 at EU Birthday Sweepstake, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 04, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/5/2010 UTC) at EU Birthday Sweepstake, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

I am sending this book to Jonniboi's EU Birthday Sweepstake Winner.
This is a great book from the 1001 books list. I hope you will like it as much as I and the other readers did. It is definitely worth reading!
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by wingSoozreaderwing from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Friday, February 12, 2010
Thank you for this 1001-book, I look forward to it!:)

Journal Entry 11 by sannuli at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Thanks Soozreader for borrowing this for my 1001 books project :)

Journal Entry 12 by sannuli at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Monday, August 29, 2011
Okay, it seems like I'm not the only one who didn't get hooked from the beginning. At first the book felt boring. The more I read the more my feelings kept changing. For a long time I was annoyed by the main character, I totally disliked him/her (indeed, gender plays no part in this book) for behaving the way he/she did. I got hooked by the time the love story started. Not a chick-lit kind of story, far from it. I felt confused, agonized and perplexed in the end. The story goes deep, definitely not a superficial scrap of what a relationship/relationships are. Must say that the author is gifted storyteller (haven't read any of her other novels so I can't judge any better).

Isn't it a sign of a great book if it makes you feel emotions of every scale (well almost) and really think? I bet this story will stay with me a long time after the book itself has traveled far. Made me a bit poetic, obviously, so I better end my journal here :)

Good read, not the easiest one though. At least not for me.

Thanks Soozreader for borrowing this one (too) :)

Journal Entry 13 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Monday, October 03, 2011
edit: book is with me

Journal Entry 14 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, October 05, 2011
I really liked the beginning, the intensity of the story...but I felt that somewhere towards the end it lost some of that intensity and drive. I felt that the story teller, even though in their mind was describing a true and great love, was in fact quite self-absorbed and selfish to really care for the other person when it truly mattered (I didn't buy the noble excuses)... whole another thing is if people can change or not and thus should there be second chances...

Journal Entry 15 by wingSoozreaderwing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (10/5/2011 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

This book is on its way to a new reader as a part of the wishlist tag-game! Enjoy!:)

Journal Entry 16 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Sunday, October 30, 2011
Arrived back home today & found this lovely book waiting for me.. Thank you so much soozreader for tagging me & sending me this wishlist book. Also, thanks sooooo much for the yummy chocolate bar & the teabags..

Journal Entry 17 by wingelizardbreathwing at Pendleton, Oregon USA on Sunday, July 01, 2012
Oppem, the Bookcrosser who previously journalled this book, passed away on June 23, 2012. I had the privilege of meeting her dear family and "catching" her large collection of registered books.

This one has traveled quite a bit so I'd like to keep it going as a wishlist RABCK when I find someone to send it to.

Sending, by request, to Vasha. Enjoy!

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 19 by Vasha at Ithaca, New York USA on Friday, July 20, 2012
Reserved for the 1001 Library.

Journal Entry 20 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Thanks so much for your donation Vasha!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.