Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance-now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! (Quirk Classics)

Registered by wickedlazy of Wickford, Essex United Kingdom on 7/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wickedlazy from Wickford, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, July 19, 2009
The Blurb
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains".

So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton - and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers - and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd acually want to read.

My thoughts on the book

What's not to like??

NOT ENOUGH ZOMBIES AND SLAYING AND STUFF ;)

Journal Entry 2 by wickedlazy from Wickford, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 15, 2009
***BOOKRING***

Time for this one to take a trip around the world...it's had a lot of interest and it's the biggest ring I've ever hosted...I feel stupidly nervous for my book!

Participants are:-

nikel27............Germany ***done***
DitteL.............Denmark ***done***
Niora..............Finland *done*
Lottiotta.........UK not needed, joined another ring for this book
shovelmonkey1..UK **done**
bookowl1000.....UK not needed, joined a different ring for this book
Klaradyn..........RSA **done**
hyper7............RSA **done**
Mr Baggins1......RSA (if he still needs it) **travelling here
Gzusgirl...........USA

please try not to sit on it too long, and if you are delayed in sending it then please keep in touch with either myself or the next person on the list. Hope you enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 3 by wickedlazy at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 21, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/22/2009 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This should go off in the post tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 4 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Friday, August 28, 2009
arrived safe at my house, I do have 1 more book to read before I can start here but I am a fast reader.

update:
Very good read, thinking of buying this book for my Personal Keepershelf.
As I already have the next members address, I will sent the book out on Monday (21th September 2009).

Journal Entry 5 by nikel27 at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 21, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/21/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book as I did.

Journal Entry 6 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Saturday, September 26, 2009
Arrived today. I've a couple of books that I need to read before this one but I'm a quick reader so hopefully it shouldn't take to long.

Journal Entry 7 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Monday, October 12, 2009
I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with this book or perhaps my expectations where to high. I'd thought that when the title included the word Zombies that they would actually play a major part in the book, but I don't think they do. They don't seem to be that much of a problem for the Bennets and the rest of them.

I absolutely adore the real 'Pride and Prejudice' and must admit to have watched the BBC series with Colin Firth while reading the book. I did like the fact that the story overall was the same and that I was even able to recognise some of the utterances from Eliza and the rest, but I would have liked it to go a bit further with the zombies playing a bigger part.

I've already got the next reader's address and will post the book later today.

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by DitteL at send to a fellow bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/12/2009 UTC) at send to a fellow bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Send to Niora in Finland

Journal Entry 9 by wingNiorawing from Ranco, Lombardia Italy on Wednesday, October 14, 2009
The book arrived in the mail today, nicely before Halloween :-). I've got a detective story to finish first, but I'll get into this as soon as that's done (could be tonight already). Thanks!

Update (October 23): Having a flu here and avoiding touching any BC books in order not to pass on bugs. So not reading this one yet. I'll get into it as soon as I'm well again, and I'll try to be quick then. :-/

Journal Entry 10 by wingNiorawing from Ranco, Lombardia Italy on Tuesday, November 03, 2009
I read about a hundred pages but then decided I just plain like this book better without zombies. The idea as such is fun, but I don't think it's pulled off very well. So I'm PMing shovelmonkey1 for their address and passing the book on in hopes that the rest of the ring participants will like it better.

Update (November 4): I promptly got shovelmonkey1's address, and the book was mailed this morning. Happy trails!

Journal Entry 11 by shovelmonkey1 from Penge, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Arrived today safe and sound courtesy of my friend Lindsay who picked it up from the office for me! Will read and release to the next person on the list as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 12 by shovelmonkey1 from Penge, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 19, 2009
Two things suprised me about this book. Firstly how much i remember of it from reading it ten years ago for my A-levels and secondly how well the zombies just slot into the plot. Clearly Jane Austen was missing a trick. I wanted to read this book mainly out of curiousity to see how the amendments to the original were done. Quite liked it but still not enough zombie gore and blood and brain crunching chaos (plus not a fan of the slightly crap illustrations)!

Released 10 yrs ago (11/19/2009 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

now en route to the next person in the ring - klaradyn in SA - hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 14 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Arrived today, yay! Thanks for sending, shovelmonkey1, and for the ring, wickedlazy.

Journal Entry 15 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Monday, April 26, 2010
I didn't finish this one, as I found it quite disappointing and didn't enjoy the part that I did read. Grahame-Smith just paraphrases Pride and Prejudice, and then throws in a few scenes with zombies. His paraphrasing / retelling of the story isn't that great. Like DitteL, I would have liked it better if the zombies played a bigger part in the story.

Journal Entry 16 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, April 26, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/26/2010 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

On the way to hyper7. Should arrive by the end of the week, hopefully!

Journal Entry 17 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Monday, May 03, 2010
received it today, but er, (oops) I just mailed one off today! What a weird coincidence (Aside from the fact that I was stupid enough to register for two identical bookrings) see here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/7479975

Anyway, I'll send it along to MrBaggins soon.

Journal Entry 18 by hyper7 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/10/2010 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to MrBaggins today. Enjoy!