What I Was

by Meg Rosoff | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by madmadge of Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on 7/16/2009
Journal Entry 1 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 16, 2009
Bought in Ringwood while out with my friend today.

Amazon Editorial Review:
'I was at boarding school in East Anglia, my third. I didn't want to be there. But if there had been no school, there would be no Finn. He lived in a hut on the coast. He was like the hut, in fact - it took a while for both of them to warm up. But that is all I longed for. Finn, warming to me. A nod. Half a smile. Asking me to help on the boat. Not asking me to leave. I didn't want it to end. Now I am waiting for the end, and looking back to the beginning.' Haunting, intense and with a surprising twist in the tale - "What I Was" is unlike anything you will have read before.

From inside flyleaf:
I'd been kicked out of two boarding schools and the last thing I wanted was to be here, on the East Anglian coast, in a third.
But without St Oswald's, I would not have discovered the fisherman's hut with its roaring fire, its striped blankets, its sea monster stew.
Without St Oswald's, I would not have met the boy with the beautiful eyes, the flickering half-smile and no past.
Withut St Oswald's, I would not have met Finn.
And without Finn, there would be no story.

Shall we begin?

Journal Entry 2 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 12, 2010
A strange but magical tale. It's only 198 pages long but, for me, I read it very quickly because I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

The story is set on the East Anglian coast and mostly takes place by the sea. I really did sympathise with the writer even though I didn't know his name until the book was nearing its end. I could feel the power of his attraction to Finn, the boy with no real identity or existence. How wonderful to be able to live as he did but you'd have to be a very strong person to withstand the hardships on that windswept coast.

Mustn't say too much more or it will spoil it for the next reader but I will say that this book is unique and shouldn't be missed.

Journal Entry 3 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, January 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/14/2010 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Tried to make a ring of this book because I enjoyed it so much but, as Snuffkin81 was the only one interested, it's all hers! On its way to South Africa. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by snufkin81 from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, March 26, 2010
This arrived today. Thanks, madmadge! I have a bunch of other books to read first but once I've finished it I'll pass it on to the others who were interested in it.

Journal Entry 5 by snufkin81 at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, January 07, 2011
I'm so sorry for keeping this book so long! I've finally gotten around to reading it and enjoyed it very much. It was a great story, beautifully written, and I'll definitely be looking out for more by Meg Rosoff. Thanks, MadMadge!

Sending to Icila, who also replied to MadMadge's forum post.

Journal Entry 6 by snufkin81 at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, January 08, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/8/2011 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent by surface mail to France. I hope it gets there safely!

Journal Entry 7 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, January 21, 2011
I got it today !
Thanks for the lovely stamps.

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, February 04, 2011
Madmadge, you are right, this book is unique !
Thanks for sharing.
Waiting for your address to send it you back.

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, February 06, 2011
Thank you madmage for letting me keep it. I'll try to offer it another journey.

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, June 20, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/20/2011 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Penelopewanders as a surprise along with "The girl who fall from the Sky" bookring.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, June 26, 2011
Surprise book accompanying The Girl Who Fell from the Sky. Looks interesting - thanks so much for sending -I gather I can either send this one on or keep it and send on another with the ring... Hope to get to this soon, end of term almost here!

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
This was a book I received as an RABCK from bookcrossing, if I'm not mistaken, and I really didn't know what to expect. I found the characterization of the narrator was strong and credible, although I found the very ending a bit strange or too vague. It would have been nice to have a clearer sense of Finn at that stage, but as the "hero" is basically self-centered and egotistical in all his awkward adolesence, so too later in life his world view is limited to his own world view, I suppose. I have another book by this author on my TBR shelf, I'll see where that takes me.