Eden Close

by Anita Shreve | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 0896219682 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingCJL-230711wing on 7/6/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingCJL-230711wing on Monday, July 06, 2009
From Publishers Weekly
In her notable fiction debut (her most recent nonfiction book is Women Together, Women Alone ) Shreve sensitively explores the coming-of-age and later redemption of her hero, events separated by nearly 20 years. A recently divorced New York advertising executive in his mid-30s, Andrew returns to the home of his youth in upstate New York to bury his widowed mother. In the dilapidated house next door live Eden Close and her mother Edith. The novel opens with Andrew dreaming of the night he was awakened by screams from the Closes' house, an incident well remembered: "The man next door was murdered when I was seventeen. His daughter was raped." Blinded by the same gun that killed her father, Eden endures an hermetic existence, zealously guarded by her mother. She and Andrew had been best friends before puberty complicated their relationship, and now Andrew, looking to the past for clues to his future, reconnects with Eden. Readers will have guessed the secret of Eden and her mother long before the story's putative climax, when it is revealed to Andrew and others. Shreve's evocative prose and elegiac voice, and her faithful attention to her likable hero's emotions render him believable and give this romance a weight superior to most in the genre.

Large Print Edition

Journal Entry 2 by wingCJL-230711wing on Monday, August 24, 2009
I bought this large print novel for my aunt. She enjoyed it and now it's available for another reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCJL-230711wing at to a fellow bookcrosser, Bookcrossing Meetup -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/13/2009 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser, Bookcrossing Meetup -- Controlled Releases

I will be passing this large print book on to gypsysmom for her mother-in-law at tonight's Winnipeg Bookcrossing meet-up at The Park Theatre Cafe.

Journal Entry 4 by gypsysmom at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, March 04, 2015
This is a hardcover Large Print book. I passed it on to my mother-in-law some time ago. She has age-related macular degeneration and is legally blind. However, with a good light and strong glasses she can read these books so I am always on the lookout for them. She has now read this book and has given it back to me.

Journal Entry 5 by gypsysmom at Cinnamon Spoon in Bragg Creek, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 20, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (7/10/2015 UTC) at Cinnamon Spoon in Bragg Creek, Alberta Canada

I left this book on top of the pay telephone just outside of the Cinnamon Spoon. Great coffee! This release is for the 2015 52 Towns in 52 Weeks release challenge - Town #39 and for the "I'm Allergic to A in Titles" release challenge.