Notes from a Small Island

by Bill Bryson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rockyhorror1978 of St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on 7/5/2009
Journal Entry 1 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 05, 2009
"Reacting to an itch common to Midwesterners since there's been a Midwest from which to escape, writer Bill Bryson moved from Iowa to Britain in 1973. Working for such places as Times of London, among others, he has lived quite happily there ever since. Now Bryson has decided his native country needs him--but first, he's going on a roundabout jaunt on the island he loves.
Britain fascinates Americans: it's familiar, yet alien; the same in some ways, yet so different. Bryson does an excellent job of showing his adopted home to a Yank audience, but you never get the feeling that Bryson is too much of an outsider to know the true nature of the country. Notes from a Small Island strikes a nice balance: the writing is American-silly with a British range of vocabulary. Bryson's marvelous ear is also in evidence: "... I noted the names of the little villages we passed through--Pinhead, West Stuttering, Bakelite, Ham Hocks, Sheepshanks ..." If you're an Anglophile, you'll devour Notes from a Small Island."

Bill Bryson is one of my favorite travel writers. His examination of British culture is delightful and entertaining. Being a frequent British traveller, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 2 by yoursecretninja from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, July 08, 2009
Having travelled to England a few years ago, my GF insists that I have to read this book!

Journal Entry 3 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 17, 2020
I love this book! It's such a joyful and enjoyable read. This book is going to be released!

Journal Entry 4 by rockyhorror1978 at -- Somewhere in St. Catharines in St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 17, 2020

Released 7 mos ago (9/17/2020 UTC) at -- Somewhere in St. Catharines in St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

WELCOME TO BOOKCROSSING! YOU'VE COME TO A FRIENDLY PLACE!

Congratulations on finding this book and hope you enjoy it. I would be thrilled if you take the time to let me know what you thought of it by making a journal entry when you find this book and/or when you have finished reading it. Please feel free to explore bookcrossing and if you decide that you would like to join, tell them rockyhorror1978 sent you! :) It's a free and fun way to liberate your literature!

If you are going to share this book by passing it on or leaving it somewhere in the world to be found as a "wild release," let the world of bookcrossers know where and when by using it's unique BCID number and following the instructions!

Enjoy this book! "Make the whole world a library"

RELEASE NOTES: Being released in a box of books on the lawn. If not taken, to be released to Value Village.