The Managerial Woman

by Margaret Hennig | Business & Investing |
Registered by wingkayotewing of Champaign, Illinois USA on 6/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by wingkayotewing from Champaign, Illinois USA on Wednesday, June 04, 2003
Despite being from 1977, this book is still very relevant today. Here and there are things which are out of date (*sniff* references to the soon to be passed ERA *sniff), but the culture hasn't changed all that much, at least not below the surface. Their study of what women bring to the job, and how this differs from men, is very interesting reading, and strikes a true note. I won't be releasing this one into the wild, but am willing to loan it out to people.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkayotewing at Champaign, Illinois USA on Monday, October 01, 2018
I came across this unpacking from our move, and am trying to keep less. I think this is something better passed on.

This made me think a lot when I read it in graduate school. I wish I could say it was now dated, but I don't think it is, given the current state of the world. Just some of the references, but not the underlying cultural commentary. It's well worth a read to look at how women are trained. I am well beyond school, but suggest it for anyone in school (or anyone planning to raise a daughter).

One thing that stayed with me--girls are (if they are lucky) taught they need to be able to support themselves. Boys are taught they need to be able to support a family. Women unconsciously (culture does that) pick the lower prestige but higher flexibility because even if they are going into a career they have the built in assumption they'll need to be the one to flex.

Will be releasing this on campus, since it was a good read for me in school.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkayotewing at Altgeld Hall in Champaign, Illinois USA on Monday, October 01, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (10/1/2018 UTC) at Altgeld Hall in Champaign, Illinois USA

Come in the front door go down the stairs. This is right outside the women's bathroom (to the right of the stairs as you come down them).

Enjoy!