Bastard Out of Carolina

by Dorothy Allison | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Vapermom of Trenton, Ontario Canada on 7/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Vapermom from Trenton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 04, 2009
Pretty good book. I liked the relationship Bone had with her aunts and uncles, a really close-knit family. The relationship with her mother and step father on the other hand, is quite different and makes for an interesting story. I wasn't expecting the confrontation near the end to happen the way it did, it was quite disturbing and I definately did not expect the novel to end the way it did.
My only complaint is I don't think the writer got into the "head" of the main character who is very young when the novel starts and is 12 at the end. Her personality doesn't seem to change at all throughout the book, I felt there should have been some growth and change in her thoughts but I didn't feel that happen.

I have started this book into a bookray with the following people on the list:

Lizzy-stardust
okyrhoe
BKind2Books

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book.
2. Read and send on within four weeks- or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer.
3. Make a journal entry when you've finished.
4. PM the next person on the list for their mailing address

Journal Entry 2 by Vapermom at -- wild released somewhere in Province, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 04, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/9/2009 UTC) at -- wild released somewhere in Province, Ontario Canada

Mailed to okyrhoe to start the ring!

Journal Entry 3 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, September 17, 2009
Finally arrived here! **Thanks** bananabrianna for adding me to the reading list & posting the book to me!

I also received 3 other ring/ray books, I will try not to hold up this one too long, I'm eager to read it :-))

Just let me know if Lizzy-stardust or BKind2Books is next, I'm not sure.

Journal Entry 4 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, October 29, 2009
I remember listening to an interview with Dorothy Allison on NPR when the book first came out. It had mentally marked it as a TBR title, but never got round to actually buying the novel.
I had a fairly good idea about the story line, so there were no surprises for me, despite the disturbing nature of the events that the young Bone experiences. What stood out in my reading of the novel is the strained relationship between the mother and child, something that is not 'talked' about explicitly by Bone as she narrates the story, though the reader can interpret the 'signs' as the story progresses.
Unfortunately despite Allison's attempts to create a credible first person narrator via the young Bone's voice, there are several lapses in the authenticity of that voice. I marked several instances where only an omniscient narrator could get away with the foreshadowing of what is to happen further on. Eg, describing her albino friend Shannon: "The fire that burned in her eyes was the fire of outrage." I was tempted to explain it away by considering Bone's narrative persona as someone later on in life looking back. But I don't think that's the intention in this novel.

Journal Entry 5 by okyrhoe at Bookring, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (11/2/2009 UTC) at Bookring, By Post -- Controlled Releases

On its way to BKind2Books!

Journal Entry 6 by wingBkind2bookswing from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Thursday, November 12, 2009
Arrived today - thanks so much for sending this my way. Will move to the top of my TBR list - got one other bookring before this. Thanks, bananabrianna.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Friday, July 01, 2011
A good, if disturbing, story. The story is told from Bone's point of view - a girl that's seen too much of the hard side of life. Her uncles are all hard-drinking men and the aunts just deal with their bad behavior. Her mother, Anney, was not married when she had her at the age of 15. Later, in her early 20's, Anney marries Glen, a man that falls short of his brothers in his father's eyes. Glen becomes increasingly unhappy with his life - he cannot measure up as hard as he tries and Bone becomes the object of his wrath, until the final confrontation. I had a hard time with the mother's character - wanted to shake some sense into her or have one of her brothers or sisters do it for me - and could not abide the ending.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (2/13/2012 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

Feb Women Authors RABCK

Journal Entry 9 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, February 16, 2012
Received from Bkind2books as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 10 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, August 19, 2012
Couldn't get into

Journal Entry 11 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/8/2013 UTC) at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

Sent to Hyphen8 to release.

Journal Entry 12 by allysther at Waipahu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, March 21, 2013
Thank you so much for sending this book to Hawaii to be released! It will be added to the growing collection of books flying in from around the world, getting ready to take the stage at the Hawaii Book and Music Festival.

Journal Entry 13 by allysther at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/18/2013 UTC) at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book will be released during the 8th Annual Hawaii Book & Music Festival, held on May 18-19, 2013. It is a weekend filled with the joy of books and the sounds of music and laughter. It is my pleasure to release my books into the wild on this day. I hope that you enjoy this book, and that you had a great time finding it out in the wild!

Good luck, little book! I hope to hear from you soon!