Possession: A Romance

by A.S. Byatt | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 009943184x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 7/4/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Saturday, July 04, 2009
"Literary critics make natural detectives", says Maud Bailey, heroine of a mystery where the clues lurk in university libraries, old letters and dusty journals. Together with Roland Michell, a fellow academic and accidental sleuth, Maud discovers a love affair between the two Victorian writers the pair has dedicated their lives to studying: Randolph Ash, a literary great long assumed to be a devoted and faithful husband, and Christabel La Motte, a lesser- known "fairy poetess" and chaste spinster. At first, Roland and Maud's discovery threatens only to alter the direction of their research, but as they unearth the truth about the long- forgotten romance, their involvement becomes increasingly urgent and personal. Desperately concealing their purpose from competing researchers, they embark on a journey that pulls each of them from solitude and loneliness, challenges the most basic assumptions they hold about themselves, and uncovers their unique entitlement to the secret of Ash and La Motte's passion.

Winner of the 1990 Booker Prize, Possession is a gripping and compulsively readable novel. A.S. Byatt exquisitely renders a setting rich in detail and texture. Her lush imagery weaves together the dual worlds that appear throughout the novel--the worlds of the mind and the senses, of male and female, of darkness and light, of truth and imagination--into an enchanted and unforgettable tale of love and intrigue.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Summer Gift, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 04, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/6/2009 UTC) at Summer Gift, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book is travelling to Canada to shorten somebody's wishlist.
Have a lovely summer!

Journal Entry 3 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 09, 2009
Thank you ApoloniaX for the book. It is in wonderful condition. I cannot wait to read it! Thanks also for the other little gifts, which will be gratefully used. Best summer greetings for you.

Journal Entry 4 by CynthiaA at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 04, 2013
This book took me forever to get through. I was engaged enough to want to know what happened next, but not engaged enough to want to spend hours with it. I found the poems and letters to be dull and distracting and often taking tangents that weren't relevant to the overall plot. Still, the story itself was good and I do have to acknowledge the author's skill. Just because Victorian romantic poetry isn't my preferred subject matter, I am impressed with Byatt's abilities.

Journal Entry 5 by CynthiaA at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 15, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (6/14/2013 UTC) at Brantford, Ontario Canada

Welcome to Bookcrossing. Thank you for catching this book! I hope you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It's free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world! Please let us know that you've found the book, what you thought of it and if possible, where you might re-release it when you're done so it can continue its journey. Reading it is not required, though is encouraged. You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join up I hope you will consider using me, CynthiaA, as the one who referred you.

Released at my workplace summer picnic.