The City & The City

by China Miéville | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0230741916 Global Overview for this book
Registered by anathema-device of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 6/30/2009
Journal Entry 1 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Amazon Best of the Month, June 2009:
The city is Beszel, a rundown metropolis on the eastern edge of Europe. The other city is Ul Qoma, a modern Eastern European boomtown, despite being a bit of an international pariah. What the two cities share, and what they don't, is the deliciously evocative conundrum at the heart of China Mieville's The City & The City. Mieville is well known as a modern fantasist (and urbanist), but from book to book he's tried on different genres, and here he's fully hard-boiled, stripping down to a seen-it-all detective's voice that's wonderfully appropriate for this story of seen and unseen. His detective is Inspector Tyador Borlu, a cop in Beszel whose investigation of the murder of a young foreign woman takes him back and forth across the highly policed border to Ul Qoma to uncover a crime that threatens the delicate balance between the cities and, perhaps more so, Borlu's own dissolving sense of identity. In his tale of two cities, Mieville creates a world both fantastic and unsettlingly familiar, whose mysteries don't end with the solution of a murder. (Tom Nissley)

So intriguing... I just had to have it! TBR!

Journal Entry 2 by anathema-device from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, August 5, 2009
I liked this book a lot, even though (or because?) it's a lot different from China Miéville's other books (or at least those of his I've read so far). It can be read as a detective story, but I believe it can function as a highly political metaphor as well.
I'll ask my fellow Miéville fans whether they are interested in reading it, then start another of my mini-bookrings. :)