The Golden Child

by Penelope Fitzgerald | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on 6/29/2009
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 29, 2009
One of my long-standing wishes, Penelope Fitzergerald's 1st fiction book...quite rare I had to order from Waterstones, a birthday gift to myself :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Did I say, wrong cover

(22/09/10) This is not Fitzgerald's best, but then one of the reasons I like her writing is the variety and the pot luck, from the sublime Bookshop and Gate of Angels to the lightweight Offshore, challenging Blue Flower, and this oddity. The book revolves around the exhibition of rare Garamantian burial artefacts - the Golden Child - at a London museum. It fills very dated, post war, maybe the 1950's? The whole thing is very tongue in cheek, as the growing farce surrounds the various players involved in a mystery, conspiracy, murder, and tie-ing it all together the bewildered narrative of the innocent and hapless Waring Smith. I guess Fitzgerald modelled the politics and rich array of characters on her time at Oxford and then the BBC? Its not an unpleasant read...i'm glad to add another piece to PF's literary puzzle.

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 11, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (10/12/2010 UTC) at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom

I'm taking this along to the London meet-up...not been to one of these for a while :)

Journal Entry 4 by smallbluepebble at Ilford, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 12, 2010
This one fell into my bag as I was leaving The Camel and Artichoke. "Not an unpleasant read" doesn't sound like much of a recommendation, but I'll give it a go...

Journal Entry 5 by smallbluepebble at Ilford, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 02, 2012
It took me a while to rescue this one from my heap of books to be read. I found it a fairly entertaining tale, though a touch uneventful in places. It was worth sticking with it for the excellent closing scenes.

Released 8 yrs ago (5/8/2012 UTC) at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom

Back to the Camel and Artichoke, to find its next reader :-)

Journal Entry 7 by sesame-seven at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 08, 2012
Retrieved at May London meetup at the Camel and Artichoke. Looks like a book I will enjoy.

Journal Entry 8 by sesame-seven at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2020
Finally got round to reading this after 8 years gathering dust on my shelves. I decided I should read something I already had, rather than buy yet another book. Anyway really enjoyed this, loved the humour and the London location. Bad news is that I went out an purchased "The Blue Flower" - I hope it does not turn out to be too challenging.

Journal Entry 9 by sesame-seven at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, November 27, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (11/27/2020 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Plan to give it to a friend at Clapham Common...

Journal Entry 10 by sesame-seven at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, January 18, 2021
Book was returned to me by my friend. She attempted to add a book crossing entry but none has appeared on the site. Comment on the book were it was a little slow apart from the ending.

Journal Entry 11 by sesame-seven at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 18, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (1/18/2021 UTC) at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

Put in the post to BookGroupMan who asked for it back in order to reread it.

Journal Entry 12 by BookGroupMan at Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 19, 2021
Thank you sesame-seven received quickly and safely :)