The Road

by Cormac McCarthy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bluenoser of Eymet, Aquitaine France on 6/28/2009
Journal Entry 1 by bluenoser from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Sunday, June 28, 2009
I picked up a pristine paperback copy of this for just €1 this morning, at a 'vide grenier'.

Journal Entry 2 by bluenoser from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
What a stunning book. It is so monochromatic, in blacks and whites with a thick layer of grey ash over everything, which only serves to make the little flashes of colour stand out - the bright yellow canned peaches, the rich red blood from a wound, a pair of found new, blue tennis shoes. It is so sad and full of desperate finality and yet courage, love and hope breath out from every page. It is one of those books that will stay in my memory for a long, long time.
I'm reserving it to take to the Amsterdam Convention. Look for it on the 'Table of Temptation'.

Released 9 yrs ago (4/17/2010 UTC) at Convention 2010 (BookCrossing Anniversary) in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

It's going on the Table of Temptation.

Journal Entry 4 by bluenoser from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Friday, April 16, 2010
Sadly my plane was grounded, so I won't be going to Amsterdam for the convention.

Journal Entry 5 by bluenoser at RABCK, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/19/2010 UTC) at RABCK, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Hopefully the planes in Europe will be flying again soon and this will wing its way across the Atlantic to HoserLauren in Toronto.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 03, 2010
Thanks for sending this along bluenoser! Sorry again that you didn't make it out to the convention.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 08, 2011
A man and his boy set out in a post-apocalyptic world down a road, heading south to warmer climates. The world has been like this for a few years and the father decides they can't stand another winter where they are. Life is getting more and more dangerous because there is less and less food. It seems that plants and most animals haven't been able to survive the disaster, whatever the disaster is.

The story paints a picture of a very stressful and weary journey for the two. The father wants nothing more than to protect his son, both from danger and from seeing things a young child shouldn't see, which is incredibly difficult in this time. The conversations between the two is quite brief but is usually filled with hope though at sometime it's forced hope.

For such a grim subject, this book is surprisingly easy to read. Looking back on this book, if I were to write a post-apocalyptic book, I'd include all of the elements from this book: a journey, trying to find food, finding bad guys, etc. Yet somehow the book still seemed like it was original. I really enjoyed this read.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 11, 2011
This book is with me :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 11, 2012
A boy and his father start to travel south in search of warmer climes in a post-apocalyptic world. It has been several years since the disaster and times are hard. The father has to protect his son while trying to find food and shelter and even clothing as they go on their journey.

This is the most depressing book I have ever read. But having said that I am glad I read it and it certainly makes one think about the father's and son's situation and how you would cope. Can one 'keep the world at bay' in a situation like this? Will anyone end up surviving? This book was easy to read because of the simplistic prose which was a great tool for the plot in this grey book. I hated the ending but I guess whatever the ending the hope is in the eye of the reader.

Journal Entry 10 by HoserLauren at St Lawrence Market, south bldg in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (7/7/2012 UTC) at St Lawrence Market, south bldg in Toronto, Ontario Canada

I've brought this book to my local meetups but everyone has it so I am going to wild release it! Leaving someplace in St. Lawrence Market, downtown Toronto.