The Great Stink

by Clare Clark | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 6/26/2009
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, June 26, 2009
London in the 1850s was fascinating. Social changes were occuring rapidally as the city remade itself under the rubrics of self-improvement and modernizing the public health. Economic changes abounded, changing the way people worked; public morality itself was changing, and as the British Empire received its first real checks in India and then the Crimea since the days of Elizabeth I, (no one really counts the napoleonic wars, after all if Jane Austen could ignore them, so can you...)the concept of modernity and nationality started to rise up.

Okay these are all REALLY big concepts. Each one deserves serious thought. The author actually tries to use many of these factors to drive her story. It sort of works, but should have been 6 or 7 books with one of the topics above loving treated in each seperate book. What you get instead is a jumpy combo of all, each interesting, but fragmentary in a way that never comes to a conclusion. Maybe I am being too picky.

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Fischerville Coffee House in Mendota Heights, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/30/2009 UTC) at Fischerville Coffee House in Mendota Heights, Minnesota USA

How cool. Went to eat lunch and drop off a book, and they have an OBCZ sign up. Yea!!!

Journal Entry 3 by DrSlump612 from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, July 01, 2009
I had been to Fischerville once for lunch and liked it - the OBCZ must be
a fairly recent addition. We went hunting and found this - looks good.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, June 04, 2010
Quietorchid, I enjoyed your comments (especially the part about ignoring the Napoleonic wars), and mostly agreed with you. However, this is set in London, my favorite city I've never lived in, and has such a wealth of detail I got quite swept up. It's extraordinarily vivid, making you see (and smell) the background. Of course, that can also make it quite hard to read - there were some times I had to force myself. But I'm very glad I had the chance.

Thank you for sharing the book quietorchid. Rather than leaving it casually where it might or might not be picked up, I'm sending this on to another book crosser who chose it from the First Sentences Virtual Book Box, so it's going straight into the hands of a reader who will welcome and appreciate it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJudySlump612wing at Bookbox virtual, Bookbox Virtual -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 04, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/4/2010 UTC) at Bookbox virtual, Bookbox Virtual -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to DitteL - enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by DitteL at Vordingborg, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Tuesday, June 08, 2010
Arrived today. Seems like an interesting read so I'm very pleased with my choice.

Journal Entry 7 by DitteL at Herlev bibliotek - bogbyttedag in Herlev, København Amt Denmark on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (3/16/2014 UTC) at Herlev bibliotek - bogbyttedag in Herlev, København Amt Denmark

As my family has grown and I know longer have the time or space for as many books as I used to, this lovely book is continuing its journey. Hopefully, it will find a new owner who will have the time to enjoy it.
Safe journey little book