The Valley of Horses

by Jane M Auel | Other |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 6/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 25, 2009
Received this from a friend of my mom.

From Chapters:
This unforgettable odyssey into the distant past carries us back to the awesome mysteries of the exotic, primeval world of The Clan of the Cave Bear, and to Ayla, now grown into a beautiful and courageous young woman.

Cruelly cast out by the new leader of the ancient Clan that adopted her as a child, Ayla leaves those she loves behind and travels alone through a stark, open land filled with dangerous animals but few people, searching for the Others, tall and fair like herself. The short summer gives her little time to look, and when she finds a sheltered valley with a herd of hardy steppe horses, she decides to stay and prepare for the long glacial winter ahead. Living with the Clan has taught Ayla many skills but not real hunting. She finally knows she can survive when she traps a horse, which gives her meat and a warm pelt for the winter, but fate has bestowed a greater gift, an orphaned foal with whom she develops a unique kinship.

One winter extends to more; she discovers a way to make fire more quickly and a wounded cave lion cub joins her unusual family, but her beloved animals don't fulfill her restless need for human companionship. Then she hears the sound of a man screaming in pain. She saves tall, handsome Jondalar, who brings her a language to speak and an awakening of love and desire, but Ayla is torn between her fear of leaving her valley and her hope of living with her own kind.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 17, 2020
This book took me SO LONG to read and it was so different from the first one. Clan of the Cave Bear had many characters and interactions between characters to make you learn more about them and decide if you liked them or hated them. We already knew Ayla from the previous book, and most of this story focused on her living and surviving alone. But there were 2 new characters introduced that felt like we were being forced to like. Jondalar and his brother set off on a "journey" at the beginning of the book. You think 'ok, they will find Ayla', but don't realize that doesn't happen until pretty much the end of the book. Instead you have Ayla surviving and learning new things, Jondalar and his brother being forced down your throat so that you like them enough for when Ayla meets them. Very average book. I have a few more in the series but I don't feel so enthusiastic about them now.