The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Random House Reader's Circle)

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mississippimom of Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on 6/24/2009
Journal Entry 1 by mississippimom from Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2009
This advance copy was sent to me by Random House
in hopes that it would be enjoyed by
the MidSouth BookCrossers...

Journal Entry 2 by mississippimom from Olive Branch, Mississippi USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A perfect book for our next BOOK CLUB read!

Not only is it charmingly written as correspondence
(including letters, telegrams, and notes slipped under doors)
the story keeps your interest with the quirky traits
and odd goings on of all the participants.
It's a wonderful example of how books help build relationships
and give incites to how people relate to events both happy and heart wrenching.

The meat of the story starts with a gentleman finding a copy of a book
with the previous owner's name and address inside the front cover. (pre BCID)
In 1946 he writes to the previous owner asking
if there were more books by that author avialable for purchase.

Now how's that for 'bookcrossing'? In 1946!
The ensuing correspondence would be like our pm's or forum postings today.

I love the quote from Juliet in the front of the book...
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey?
Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books
that brings them to their perfect readers."
Haven't we all wondered how some of our books get from place to place?

Juliet sends the gentleman a copy of another book by the same author...
Or in our terms, she sends him a RABCK!

And well.... you just HAVE to read the book to find out where this all takes them.
I laughed, I cried, I sat up late at night and then got up early the next morning to finish this book!
This is the best book I've read this year!

To learn more about this book, please watch this video from the co-author....
Video from Annie Barrows

Released 9 yrs ago (7/11/2009 UTC) at Tennessee Genealogical Society in Germantown, Tennessee USA

This book is my gift to you....

Welcome to Book Crossing!
Won’t you please take a moment and make a brief journal entry
to let us know this book has made a new friend.
You may keep this book or read & release it as I have done.
You may remain anonymous; however, I hope you’ll consider joining Book Crossing.
It’s fun, free and quite secure.

If you do join, I would be pleased
if you would list my screen-name MississippiMom in the referred by space.

Journal Entry 4 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, July 11, 2009
I'm sure I will like this book :=D Thanks for bringing it to the Meet-Up. It was fun to see everyone and a new person too in a new setting!

Journal Entry 5 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, October 10, 2009
Reading this now & loving it!

Reserved for the Raiding Bookshelves swap on Bookobsessed.

Journal Entry 6 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, October 17, 2009
This was a lovely story with an interesting historical island setting - I love this era and it helps me to understand better what people went through with World War II. And isn't it wonderful how friendships can grow and develop due to books? :=D I thought this book was very nicely written - I liked the letter format - and had some well-drawn characterizations. The only thing more I could have asked for was more at the end regarding Kit, and what she thought or how she reacted to that last turn of events. The notes in the book from Annie Barrows about helping her aunt (the author) were touching. Definitely one of my favorite reads this year so far.

This will be sent to AceofHearts - enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by dancing-dog at Book Obsessed Swap, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/28/2009 UTC) at Book Obsessed Swap, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases

Selected and won by AceofHearts in the Raiding Bookshelves Swap - enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 11, 2009
received in the mail. Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 01, 2012
It is post WWII in London and British author Juliet Ashton is searching for her next writing project. She has lost her house and possessions in the bombings. Juliet receives a letter from a man inquiring about Charles Lamb's books. He had found her name and address in a book he had bought about Charles Lamb. The letter is from the Isle of Guernsey.

What follows is an interesting collection of letters, telegrams and notes. Guernsey was occupied by the Germans during the war. A group of friends on the Isle formed a book club in order to be able to meet together. Though this correspondence Juliet is able to forge new friendships and soon finds herself going to Guernsey to write about the occupation.

I enjoyed the book very much. The characters are vibrant and almost quaint and the setting is one I will have to put on my wishlist to visit. Beware though, those who do not enjoy a sappy love story will not fall in love with the book like myself.

Journal Entry 10 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 03, 2013
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books.

I will be releasing this in my mom's memory.

Journal Entry 11 by HoserLauren at PATH (Toronto's downtown walkway) in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 15, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/16/2013 UTC) at PATH (Toronto's downtown walkway) in Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience and I do hope you will use my mom, AceofHearts, as a referring member.