Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

by David Sedaris | Nonfiction |
Registered by DitteL of Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on 6/22/2009
Journal Entry 1 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Monday, June 22, 2009
This is an advance reading copy of the book and thus doesn't have the same cover as the one on the picture.

From the back:
In hie newest collection of essays, David Sedaris lifts the corner of ordinary life, revealing the absurdity teeming below its surface. His world is alive with obscure desires and hidden motives - a world where forgiveness is automatic and an argument can be the highest form of love.

Amazon Editorial Review:
David Sedaris returns to his deliriously twisted domain: hilarious childhood dramas infused with melancholy; the gulf of misunderstanding that exists between people of different nations or members of the same family; and the poignant divide between one's best hopes and most common deeds. The family characters his readers love are all here, as well as the unique terrain they inhabit, strewn with comic landmines. 'The Rooster' is back, and getting married in the funniest wedding ever described. David attends a slumber party and gets the upper hand in a unique version of strip poker. 'Rubber or plastic?' The strangest questions can tear people apart. A skinny guy from Spain, wearing a bishop's hat and accompanied by six to eight men, invades your house and pretends to kick you.Is this any way to spend Christmas? With this new book, Sedaris's prose reaches breathtaking new heights and marks off a territory that is unmistakably his own. Read it and weep tears of humane laughter.

Journal Entry 2 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Wednesday, June 24, 2009
As I don't have the time to read this book at the moment, I'm turning it into a ring. Hopefully, I'll have more time to read it when (and if) it returns

Ring particpants (order might change):
1. mrbaggins1 - South Africa (International)
2. amidabutsu - Canada (North America)
3. bananabrianna - Canada (International)
4. Qantaqa - Germany (Europe)
5. earthcaroleanne - UK (UK) <-- The book is here
6. JoolsW - UK (International)

Then back to me, DitteL

Journal Entry 3 by DitteL at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/2/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to South Africa

Journal Entry 4 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Received today - going in the queue on Mt TBR - see my profile page - 3 before this one. Thank you for sharing

Journal Entry 5 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Thanks for sharing. I've contacted amidabutsu in Canada (Next in line) so that I can post it.

Journal Entry 6 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Monday, August 31, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/31/2009 UTC) at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

The dispatch of this book has been delayed due to a local post office strike which I believe is now over.

Posting it today bu surface mail to amidabutsu in Canada who's next in line.

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 7 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Monday, October 26, 2009
the book arrived a few weeks ago and i guess i totally forgot to journal it (not being very good with bookcrossing these days, my apologies).
will journal again and send to the next person in line soon.

Journal Entry 8 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Monday, January 18, 2010
sorry the book is being delayed, i ran out of bookcrossing funds. or just general funds.

will send it soon, promise. thanks for your patience.

about the book: there were times where i just burst out laughing out loud, and times where i got a tear in my eye. i really like sedaris's style. i've read a couple of him and do enjoy his stories.

Journal Entry 9 by amidabutsu at Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Monday, January 18, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/18/2010 UTC) at Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

it took me a long time, but it's now on its way.
again, apologies for the delays.

Journal Entry 10 by Vapermom from Trenton, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 22, 2010
Received today! Thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by Vapermom from Trenton, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 03, 2010
I love David Sedaris and this book didn't disappoint. Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 12 by Vapermom from Trenton, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 12, 2010
I have tried contacting Qantaqa twice with no response in the last 9 days so I am moving on to the next person!

Journal Entry 13 by Vapermom at -- wild released somewhere in Province, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/22/2010 UTC) at -- wild released somewhere in Province, Ontario Canada

Mailed!

Journal Entry 14 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Just arrived - I've been looking forward to this for a long time. David Sedaris has been on the radio a lot lately and I still haven't read anything of his yet. That will soon be rectified, but of course bookrings travel in twos and another one arrived at the same time. I think I'll read this first, it looks a quicker read.

Journal Entry 15 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 14, 2010
What an amazingly quick read! I'm going to completely quote MrBaggins "This is the first book of Sedaris I've read. As I'm not familiar with what he's all about I don't know what to make of it. Some of the essays are quite funny and others...I dunno. Maybe I'm reading it out of context and therefore could not do justice to it and I'm not a fan of short stories or essays in any event."

I had been really looking forward to reading one of his books after hearing him on the radio, he sounded an amazing guy, but the book was just ... ordinary.

Ready to go when I get the next address.

Journal Entry 16 by wingearthcaroleannewing at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/14/2010 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Yorkshire!

Journal Entry 17 by JoolsW from Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 16, 2010
I received this today and it couldn't have come at a better time as I'm just coming to the end of a couple of books, which have been a bit hard going at times, so I'm now feeling in the need of something 'easy' and quick to read. I've read Me Talk Pretty Someday a couple of times and like Sedaris' style and humour, so I'm hoping this won't disappoint!

Journal Entry 18 by JoolsW from Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 14, 2010
I finished reading this a couple of days ago and found it an easy, humourous read. Having read and enjoyed 'Me Talk Pretty Someday' I knew what to expect of David Sedaris and his quirky view of life and family relationships and I wasn't disappointed by this book. I'll certainly read more by David Sedaris in the future.

It looks like I'm last on the list and it's time for this book to return home to DitteL.

Journal Entry 19 by JoolsW at Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/14/2010 UTC) at Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

This book is now on its way back home to DitteL.

Many thanks for sharing Ditte : )

Journal Entry 20 by DitteL at Vordingborg, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Saturday, June 19, 2010
The book has returned home. Thanks to all the participants for taking so good care of the book. It willl now be placed on my own Mount ToBeRead and hopefully I'll get to it soon.

Thanks to JoolsW for returning the book and for postcards and chocolate. I've never seen so cute a chocolate wrapping and it's almost a shame to destroy it in order to get to the chocolate. I'll think I share it with my cousin's four year old daughter. She'll love the wrapping but she don't like chocolate so I'll get to eat all of it by myself ;o)

Journal Entry 21 by DitteL at Herlev bibliotek - bogbyttedag in Herlev, København Amt Denmark on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (3/17/2013 UTC) at Herlev bibliotek - bogbyttedag in Herlev, København Amt Denmark

Released today at Herlev bibliotek