The Uncommon Reader

by Alan Bennett | Humor |
Registered by Roxy4 of Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on 6/22/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Roxy4 from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, June 22, 2009
A brilliant read and a must-read for anybody who loves reading and might be slightly obsessed with books!

Journal Entry 2 by Roxy4 at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, September 23, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/23/2010 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Hello finder!
welcome to the wonderful world of bookcrossing! this book is now yours, you can keep it forever or you can re-release it again in a public place or give to a friend. Either way, please let the previous owners know what you thought of the book and what you intend to do with it by writing a short journal entry. You don't have to join bookcrossing to write an entry.

Bookcrossing is free, anonymous and fun! Enjoy!

Given to Kiwiinengland.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, September 27, 2010
Some amusing observations, especially about how little power the powerful sometimes have. I greatly enjoyed this little book, but thought the end was a little to cute and totally out of character.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, September 27, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/26/2010 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Passed on to Honotomo after spending a great evening with Nut, Grocklecat, Nutelie, and Daveg666.

Journal Entry 5 by hon-no-tomo at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, September 29, 2010
A very funny read. I loved the British accent.
The end is surprising, if not a little bit too tidied up.

Journal Entry 6 by hon-no-tomo at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/29/2010 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

I'll pass it on to David666.
Afterwards, it goes to Gizmopuddy.

Journal Entry 7 by davidg666 at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, October 08, 2010
This is the October 2010 BCie book of the month.

Acquired from hon-no-tomo and read very quickly (it's quite short).

I'm pretty sure I've read it before, but at first I thought that may have been while browsing in a bookshop, but then that would've been just a few pages - but every part of the book, including the ending, rang a bell. That notwithstanding, it's a very easy read and quite novel. Perhaps it's a little contrived in parts, especially at the end, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable. Very interesting to see things from the (presumed, but obviously invented) point of view of the position of a monarch.

Sending on to Gizmopuddy now, and entrusting to the fate of the postal system.

Journal Entry 8 by Gizmopuddy at Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, October 11, 2010
Received in the post today. Thanks DG. Having read the blurb on the back it sounds right up my alley. Looking forward to reading it

Journal Entry 9 by Gizmopuddy at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Throughly enjoyable little book, very humourous

Two of my favourite passages:
there was something lofty about literature. Books did not care who was reading them or whether one read them or not. All readers are equal, herself included. Literature she thought was a commonwealth, letters a republic.

If Gerald had known what a syllogism was: Alzheimer's is common, the Queen is not common, therefore the Queen has not got Alzheimers

Journal Entry 10 by Gizmopuddy at Maynooth, Co. Kildare Ireland on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/10/2012 UTC) at Maynooth, Co. Kildare Ireland

Passing to Mahinaarangi, as I think it will tickle her sense of humour taste buds

Journal Entry 11 by Mahinaarangi at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, May 13, 2012
This book was passed on to me by Gizmopuddy. It made me giggle quite often.
A small, easy read, ideal for long-haul plane trips.

Journal Entry 12 by LeonR at Waihi Beach, Bay of Plenty New Zealand on Tuesday, May 22, 2012
A quick, very enjoyable and amusing read.

Journal Entry 13 by janelleEa at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, July 22, 2016
Such a cool idea!

Journal Entry 14 by janelleEa at Coffee Club Hagley Park in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, August 08, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (8/9/2016 UTC) at Coffee Club Hagley Park in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Perfect little bookshelf!

Journal Entry 15 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, August 13, 2016
Found on the bookshelf at Coffee Club during our meetup there today. Exciting to see someone new releasing to the shelf (you should come along to our next meetup, janelleEa!), and doubly exciting when I came to make a journal entry to see so many familiar faces among the previous journallers - hi Dublin crowd!

v

Journal Entry 16 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, September 27, 2016
Lovely little book, and a lot of fun. Unlike everyone else, I actually liked the ending - probably because I spent most of the book wondering how the author was going to get himself out of the corner he was painting the story into, and when I reached the ending it was "Oh, of course, how else could it end?".

v

Journal Entry 17 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, November 19, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (11/19/2016 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to CrafteeCod a few weeks ago when Lytteltonwitch and I went out to Burwood to visit her. Completely forgot to do release notes at the time...

Hope you enjoyed the book, CrafteeCod, or at least found someone to pass it on to :-)