The Day of the Triffids

by JOHN WYNDHAM | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cluricaune of Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on 6/13/2009
Journal Entry 1 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Saturday, June 13, 2009
John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris was born in 1903, just outside Birmingham. He wrote under a variety of pen-names, though “The Day of the Triffids” was the first time he used the name "John Wyndham". It’s also is his most famous book and is set in 1950s England.

The story is told by Bill Masen, a biologist for the Arctic and European Oil Company. The oil Arctic and European sell, however, isn’t used to fuel trains, planes and automobiles : it’s a food supplement derived from a recently ‘discovered’ species of plant life known as “triffids”. Bill believes the species is not a naturally occurring one, but was instead created in a laboratory by scientists. With the Cold War still in full-swing, Bill points the finger squarely at the USSR. It’s possible the intention was to create them solely as a food source : the oil derived from triffids is so rich in vitamins that it’s seen the bottom fall out of the fish-oil market. However, a triffid is also so dangerous it could also have been created as an extreme form of biological warfare.

Triffids are carnivorous plants : insects always provide a quick and easy snack, though as time goes on, they seem to develop a preference for decomposing human flesh. It appears they can hear and make a strange rattling sound that some believe to be a form of communication. Even more dramatically, they can actually walk. They also have very dangerous ‘stingers’, which can reach a length of around ten feet and – if they connect with bare skin – can be fatal. When triffids have attacked humans, they tend to strike first at the head – blinding a remarkably high number of the victims. A colleague of Bill’s at Arctic-European believed this to be significant as the only real advantage humans had over triffids was their sight. With this removed from the equation, humans become little more than lunch.

Bill’s introduction to triffids came at an early age, when triffids were still a novelty and little was known about them. Although stung, he survived – luckily, the triffid in question was immature. As the book opens, Bill is recovering in hospital from another close encounter – a couple of drops of triffid poison splashed into Bill’s eyes. The treatment included heavy padding and bandages, meaning that Bill couldn’t see a thing. As a result, he missed out on a very dramatic free show : the previous night, the Earth apparently passed through some comet debris that resulted in a dazzling light show in the sky. Unfortunately, it also blinded everyone who watched it. Obviously, protected by his bandages and padding, Bill is now one of the few sighted people left and triffids are now a bigger threat than they should have been.

There are some very quaint, old –fashioned elements to this book, the most obvious centring on Bill’s relationship with Josella Playton. Josella is the first sighted person meets after leaving the hospital and – shortly after they’ve shaken hands – start discussing the size of the family they’ll have together. Josella, it has to be said, is a good deal more pragmatic than Bill – who seems to be the sort of character born to shout “I say !”. However, even after the world as we know it has ended, there are still some who seem unwilling to allow Josella to live down a rather racy book she once wrote. Nevertheless, this is definitely well worth reading. In fact, it seems to describe a world we’re well familiar with in places : genetically modified plants, biological weapons, a web of satellites orbiting the planet in the name of ‘defence’ and an end to civilisation under greater threat from humans than aliens.

Journal Entry 2 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Saturday, June 13, 2009
To the finder:

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. I hope you like the book, but I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what you thought of it by making another journal entry when you've finished it.

Then, whenever you are ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey.

If you've decided to sign up, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spamless !

Thanks for stopping by, have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by cluricaune at YMCA Lagan Meadows in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Saturday, June 13, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/13/2009 UTC) at YMCA Lagan Meadows in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

Left on bag rack, at the back of the gym behind the treadmills.

Left sitting on top of Void Moon, funny enough :)

Journal Entry 4 by smily-girl from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Monday, June 15, 2009
Although I had heard of this famous old story, I didn't actually know much about it, or had had the chance to read it before. I picked it up in the gym (where I am constantly on the look out for more books) and I really loved this book. I read it in a few hours! I would love to read more books by this author, the story is extremely well written,
I am going to keep this until next week when I can pass it on to my mum when she comes to visit from Australia....

Journal Entry 5 by marks-mum from Southport, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 05, 2009
Still reading it...