She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana

by Haven Kimmel | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 074328500x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingmom-oysterwing of Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on 7/15/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingmom-oysterwing from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Bought at a Quince Orchard Library book sale in a bag of books.

Released 3 yrs ago (4/23/2017 UTC) at Day Of The Book (Street Festival) On Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

There are too many books in my house, so it's time to share with others. Released at the 2017 Day of the Book Festival.

Hello! So glad you found this book. If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! I hope you'll leave a journal entry. You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing (it's free!).

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Kensington, Maryland USA on Monday, April 24, 2017
I was putting out the books MomOyster brought to the festival and came across this book. I just gave a copy of the author's first book to fellow Bookcrosser SqnutZips whom I call Zippy.

Seems like a decent read for my emergency trip to Portland tomorrow. I may pass it along to Zippy when i am done.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 24, 2018
I was in need of an audiobook for a road trip and Katekintail had a copy of this book on CD, so I snapped it up. The audiobook was read by the author and I thought it actually added a layer of authentic emotion to the storytelling.

Zippy Kimmel is a gifted writer and really manages to make it feel like you are a part of her memories of childhood in Mooreland, Indiana. The focal point of all these anecdotes is her mother, Delonda, who begins to come into her own and finds a way to escape the unfulfilling life that she has been living. I felt really connected to Zippy and her childhood, although mine was not nearly as desperate as hers in terms of the level of poverty and the tension between the parents. I felt a strong feminist connection to Zippy's brave and determined mother, but I also understand the frustration of her father with the changes in his world. I would be interested in another installment that picks up where this one left off.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 24, 2018

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqNutZipswing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 17, 2018
This book is a controlled release to me by fellow BC'er and friend "6of8". This book is by the author of "A Girl Named Zippy" which is the BC nickname "6" has bestowed upon me. "I have to admit "SqnutZips" is a mouthful.. who knew that the BC user name would become your BC handle. LOL!

" I have read "A Girl Named Zippy' which was also controlled release to me by "6" and truly enjoyed the book. This will go onto my TBR pile and I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, January 14, 2019
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a laugh a minute. I love Kimmel's writing style. It's amazing how purely and honestly she writes the thoughts and impressions of herself as a 10yo. A 10yo with a brilliant imagination who is full of love and life in the observation of those people and things around her. The writing is so brilliant it did not seem like memories but real time observation. I felt like I was right there with her. I highly recommend reading "A Girl Named Zippy" by Haven Kimmel as well.

Journal Entry 8 by wingSqNutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Released 4 mos ago (12/16/2020 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

Being released for the BCinDC annual Holiday 1st line party game 2020. Since we are still in the middle of a raging CV19 pandemic we are having our Holiday meet-up on Zoom.

1st line of this book is
"The couch in the den was the color the crayon people called Flesh even though it resembled no human or animal flesh on the Planet Earth, and the couch fabric was nubbled in a pattern of diamonds."

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing, it's free, spam and advertisement free and loads of fun.

By joining BookCrossing you can keep track of where the book has been and where it's going.