Two Lives

by Vikram Seth | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 6/6/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Saturday, June 06, 2009
"Seth is the author of the hugely popular novel A Suitable Boy (1993), and with the same attention to atmospheric detail and nuance of character he brought to that book, he now offers a deeply engaging dual biography of his great-uncle and great-aunt. At age 17, Seth journeyed from his native Calcutta to London to prepare for study at Oxford, and while in the British capital, he became acquainted with his two relatives--his uncle, an Indian like himself and a dentist, and his aunt, a German-born Jew--both of whom lived in London, though they had found their way there through much different paths. After writing A Suitable Boy, Seth decided to approach Two Lives not so much as a personal remembrance as a researched life history of the couple. So, as if one of their stories weren't rich enough, we get two--three, really, since the process of Seth's learning about his uncle's and aunt's lives and revivifying them as a dual narrative adds up to a third storyline. These two individuals, from widely divergent religious and cultural backgrounds, bring together on a larger plane two important national stories of the twentieth century: India during the years of division between and discord among Hindus and Muslims, and Germany under the anti-Semitic Nazi regime. As well as offering an insightful exploration of those broad themes, this beautiful book delivers a passionate answer to a more personal but timeless question of human relations: How do two people ever manage to end up together?" (amazon)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (7/2/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This book was part of the Intercultural Virtual Bookbox and is now travelling to one of the participants.

Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, July 06, 2009
ooh brilliant! I love Vikram Seth! And a big thank you for the great bat bookmarker-he is so cute! I really look forward to reading this, thank you! Hugs from Scotland! xx

Journal Entry 4 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 30, 2009
I couldn't get my head around this book at all! I got as far as part 2 but when I saw he was launching into a description of his uncle growing up through the years I decided not to continue. Just a bit too descriptive for me but thanks for sharing anyway!

Journal Entry 5 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 27, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (3/1/2010 UTC) at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom

This book is travelling in connection with the Asian Cultural VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, March 10, 2010
The book's in Finland, thanks very much!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Kirjasto, Iso Omena in Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 16, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (9/17/2016 UTC) at Kirjasto, Iso Omena in Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Enjoy!