The Invention of Everything Else

by Samantha Hunt | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by deludeddaydream of -- Somewhere in Hampshire, Hampshire United Kingdom on 6/5/2009
Journal Entry 1 by deludeddaydream from -- Somewhere in Hampshire, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 05, 2009
WELCOME TO "THE INVENTION OF EVERYTHING ELSE" INTERNATIONAL BOOK RING

This ring is underway and is CLOSED to new members.

MEMBER / LOCATION:

FINAL SHIPPING ORDER

1. deludeddaydream / UK (ship anywhere)
2. Flutterbies9 /UK (ship within UK)
3. arturogrande / UK (ship anywhere)
4. Laui / The Netherlands (ship within Europe)
5. Hayes13 / Italy (ship anywhere)
6. luckof / Canada (ship within Canada, possibly to US)
7. amidabutsu / Canada (ship anywhere)
8. NMReader / US (ship within US)
9. mikimouse / US (ship anywhere)
10. easterngirl71 / US (ship within US, possibly anywhere) <--- The book is here.
11. deludeddaydream / UK

PLEASE NOTE - If you wish to participate YOU WILL NEED TO:

1. PM me with your shipping preferences.
2. Be prepared to mail internationally unless you state otherwise in your PM/forum post.
4. PM the person AFTER you on the list to obtain their address, as this is the person to whom you'll be sending the book
5. Read and send the book on as speedily as you can so as not to keep others waiting too long.
6. Journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it currently is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it).

BOOK DESCRIPTION:

I bought this book because it was short-listed for the 2009 Orange Prize for Fiction. I thoroughly enjoyed it's unusual style, rich prose and captivating characters. The more I think about the book, the more I am moved by the clever and compassionate storytelling. I think this story will haunt me for a long time.

The book weighs 250g/9oz.

From the back of the book:

Louisa is an imaginative and curious chambermaid who, while cleaning rooms at the New Yorker Hotel, stumbles across a man living permanently in room 3327, which he has transformed into a scientific laboratory. Through their shared interest in the pigeons that nest in the hotel, Louisa discovers that the mysterious guest is Nikola Tesla, one of the most brilliant- and most neglected- inventors of the twentieth century.

The Invention of Everything Else charts the relationship of the girl and the genius during the last week of Tesla's life, when sinister forces are closing in on him. As well as being an engaging literary mystery, this exceptional novel movingly tells the life story of this extraordinary man and also recounts the heartbreak and redemption of one ordinary family.

"Samantha Hunt is an exciting find- a fresh voice...a fantastical love story, literary gold...It should appeal to fans of The Time Traveller's Wife and Donna Tarrt." Sunday Express

My forum post asking for members.

Released 10 yrs ago (6/9/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted to Flutterbies9 (UK).

Hope you enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 3 by Flutterbies9 from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Received today. Just finished previous book and put down current reading to zip through this one, I don't wish to have it first and hold it up! Looking forward to it already.

Journal Entry 4 by Flutterbies9 from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, June 21, 2009
I also loved this book. There is a captivating 'otherworldliness' about the story line and the mystery of the interwoven tales. I knew of Tesla and his inventions so this was a fascinating way to marry the 'scientific world' into the 'real word' using some of the better known works of Tesla. The interaction of Tesla and Luisa was endemic of the way misunderstandings of thought and speech can create a third totally unexpected experience which sometimes meets with reality.
Luisa's tale is both sad and uplifting in turns. The curious and different life that she is living is particularly suited to creating a rapport with an unworldly scientist / inventor, especially with their shared love of pigeons. Despite this, I did feel that Luisa's character could have benefited from a little more characterisation.
The writing is well paced and very thought provoking pulling you through the book in anticipation of the inevitable sad ending (it is after all the end of Tesla's life). So much is known about Tesla that it must have been difficult deciding what to put into this book and what to leave out but the research has obviously been thorough and well known incidents used to flesh out his tale. The style of writing can be a little fey at times and the emotional contexts are written from an external point of view which can alienate the feeling from the person(s) associated with them. I'll need to think about this for a bit longer I think.
Still, I loved the book anyway and hope others do also.

Thanks for sharing deludeddaydream.

Pm'd the next in line and awaiting reply so I can send this book on its journey.

Released 10 yrs ago (6/24/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Received details and printed label for sending on, so will ask DH to post tomorrow.

Interestingly, though I'm half way through another book, I'm still thinking of this one! An unusual situation for me, so it really was very thought provoking, more so than I initially realised.

Journal Entry 6 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, June 26, 2009
This book arrived this morning, just as I'd finished my last one. That means I can get started on it straight away.

Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 7 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, July 13, 2009
Another one who loved the book here! I found it to be deeply moving, and Nikola Tesla was such a wonderful central character. I too knew a bit about Tesla before I read this, and knew that in his later life, he had suffered from mental illness. The depiction of that illness gave the book so much of its heart and poignancy - the section where Tesla was looking for his friend Sam reduced me to tears.
The time travel and science elements worked really well in the context of the story, although I wasn't so keen on the relationship between Louisa and Arthur.
Louisa's father Walter was a fabulous creation, and I would have liked to have seen more interaction between him and Tesla, as I think the creative sparks would really have flown.
It was Nikola Tesla's birthday last week, and I was pleased to see that Google honoured the great man on their logo that day.
Thanks for sharing this lovely book - it's now on its way to Laui.

Journal Entry 8 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, July 16, 2009
It was in today's mail, so it's safe and sound cuddling the other heard of BC-books currently staying here. I hope you will understand that I might not be able to finish this within a month because of that. But I'll do my best and I'll let you know when I've started reading it!

Thanks for sharing!

July 31st: about halfway. Not exactly a quick read, but what a lovely story! I'm enjoying it tremendously. It really is like the back cover quote from Marie Claire: "A beguiling mix of love, death, pigeons and time travel, it's a gem of a story about the power of imagination"

Journal Entry 9 by Laui from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
It was such a wonderful story, so amazing. The end is a bit abrupt, unfinished, but then again, life always is. I postponed finishing it for a few days, because I felt sorry the pages to this book were limited. I loved to not know whether something was real, or fiction. Did Azor travel in time? Or did he just go mad?
The story has an uncommon tenderness to it, and I absolutely loved every bit of it. I would stack it right back on my pile of books to be read, just to prolong enjoying the story.

Oh, and I didn't know anything about Tesla before reading this book. Only that someone named the MRI's magnetic field strength after him. So I've learned a lot!

I've got Hayes13's address already, I'm hoping to drop it off at the post office tomorrow, but I'll make sure to make release notes when I actually did.

Journal Entry 10 by Laui at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/11/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed out to Hayes13 today!

Journal Entry 11 by wingHayes13wing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, August 24, 2009
Found this afternoon on return from short holiday... arrived with 4 others!! will get to it as quickly as I can!! Looks really interesting.

Journal Entry 12 by wingHayes13wing at Barrie, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/2/2009 UTC) at Barrie, Ontario Canada

I liked the idea of this, liked the beginning, but got stalled in the middle. I guess I'm not in the right frame of mind for it. Will probably come back to it in the future, but won't hold up the ray. On to the next participant.

Journal Entry 13 by luckof from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 10, 2009
Rec'd today in the mail -- bookrings seem to fly in packs don't they? I have three ahead of this one...but hopefully I won't keep it delayed for too long...thanks for sharing!!

Sept 30/09

I have finished this -- and I must say it wasn't what I expected and I found it hard to keep reading it -- and at times I found it difficult to follow -- having said that -- I am sure I really wasn't in the right frame of mind to read this as I have a lot on the go at the moment. I have PM'd the next on the list and hopefully this will continue its travels shortly. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 14 by luckof at -- wild released somewhere in Province, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 15, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/14/2009 UTC) at -- wild released somewhere in Province, Ontario Canada

I have to say I this was not one of my favourite reads this year -- and although I stuck it out and read it to the end -- I was happy when the end arrived -- perhaps I wasn't in the proper frame of mind to enjoy it...mailed off today to the next person on the list -- happy travels...

Journal Entry 15 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Monday, November 16, 2009
i received it a few weeks ago, and forgot to journal it then (sorry). i'm finishing it soon and will send it on its way.

Journal Entry 16 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Monday, January 18, 2010
i have to say i was a little disappointed by the end of the book. but i have to say, it's really well written, and the characters were quite interesting and tender. it also gives an interesting snapshot of an era where radio, electricity, and other technologies were changing the world.

i'd be interested to read more of the same author, because save for the couple of last chapters of the book, i enjoyed it very much.

Journal Entry 17 by amidabutsu at Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Thursday, April 08, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/6/2010 UTC) at Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

i finally managed to mail it. thanks to everyone for being so patient, it's much appreciated.

Journal Entry 18 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 08, 2010
I have the book now. This book arrived over a week ago at my sister's. I collected it this weekend. Thanks you.

I will read as soon as I can

Journal Entry 19 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 02, 2010
I thought an update might be welcomed.

I have two books I am presently reading in front of this book. As soon as I complete these two I will start this book and read quickly

Journal Entry 20 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 16, 2010
I started this book over the weekend. I am only about 30 pages into it but I am enjoying it.

June 17: I read this on the elliptical trainer today. I am at about page 70 now. I am still trying to get into the book.

June 19: I am enjoying this book. I have about 170 pages left. I have been reading on my elliptical trainer and it is keeping me from realizing how long I have been on it.

Journal Entry 21 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, June 28, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/28/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I'll drop this at the PO on my way home.

Journal Entry 22 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Saturday, July 24, 2010
Thanks for sharing. Reading the ring/ray books in the order in which they were post marked and this will be the 4th book I will read:) Thanks again for sharing:)