Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences

by John Allen Paulos | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by jkate of Pleasant Hill, California USA on 5/31/2003
Journal Entry 1 by jkate from Pleasant Hill, California USA on Saturday, May 31, 2003
I've tried to read this one, but can't get into it( I choose to be in denial about my math problems)
Will give/sell this book at a yard sale.

Journal Entry 2 by jkate at Yard Sale-Santa Barbara Road in Pleasant Hill, California USA on Saturday, May 31, 2003
Release planned for Saturday, June 07, 2003 at Yard Sale-Santa Barbara Road in Pleasant Hill, California USA.

To be sold/given away at a yard sale.

Journal Entry 3 by jkate from Pleasant Hill, California USA on Thursday, June 05, 2003
Change of plans! This book has been asked for by a fellow bookcrosser. Will go out in the mail ASAP.

Release planned for Friday, June 13, 2003 at To a fellow Bookcrosser in Pleasant Hill, California USA.

Journal Entry 5 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, June 23, 2003
I've looked at this book before, but never picked it up to read. Thanks for the RABCK, jkate. Going onto my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 6 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, June 30, 2003
Finished reading this over the weekend. It was actually a pretty quick read, I thought. While it covered a lot of ground, the book generally dealt with the issues on a pretty basic level that should be easy for almost everyone to follow. There are important issues in here, dealing with people's inability to properly comprehend probabilities and statistics, as well as the common problems associated with comparing relative magnitudes. I guess I'm fairly numerate as very little in this book was surprise to me. Still, it was a worthwhile book. Now I just need to figure out who to give it to, or where to release it....

[added 7/7/03:] My wife showed me a funny example of innumeracy last night. One of her mail order catalog had an ad for 4 items, priced $6.95 each, and a big banner that said "Buy all 4, a $27.80 value, ONLY $29.95!" Hmmmmm....at least they weren't hiding anything.

Release planned for Wednesday, July 16, 2003 at fellow BookCrosser in USPS, postal release USA.

This book is continuing its journey...on its way to nelka35 in Brooklyn, NY.

Journal Entry 8 by nelka35 from New York City, New York USA on Sunday, July 20, 2003
Thank you, ResQgeek! I will read it and pass it on, someone has asked me for it already! :)

Released 4 yrs ago (3/23/2015 UTC) at subway station (see release notes for details) in Queens, New York USA

On a bench in a subway station.