Vanishing And Other Stories

by Deborah Willis | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 6/1/2009
Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, June 01, 2009
I can thank author Cathleen With (Having Faith in the Polar Girls' Prison) for putting me onto this book. We were talking about the availability of Canadian books in the big book stores and my little rant at the District Manager for my local Coles store. In that conversation she mentioned doing a book signing/talk in Calgary with Deborah Willis, Calgary being Willis's home town. While shamefully my local Coles did NOT have With's book in stock or anything at all by Gabrielle Roy (in this Roy's 100th birthday year), they did have this book. Two copies! I bought one of them.

Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, August 30, 2009
I'm beginning to wonder if I am just a pushover for short stories - that I'll read and love them all, no matter what the calibre - or whether I've just been extremely lucky in the books I've chosen to read. This is my fifth book of stories read for John Mutford's 3rd Canadian Book Challenge and I don't think I've made a negative comment yet. And I'm not going to again. I loved these stories and I am amazed that they're the product of such a young (Willis is 26 I think - younger than my children!) new author. Seriously, I did have to question myself. Was I just impressed that the book was published by Penguin who does not, as far as I know, publish any old shlock? Or do I so want female Canadian authors to be successful that I'll go to bat for them no matter what? I don't think so, I think these stories are truly the work of a talented writer.

Admittedly, Willis does write from a female perspective and that is, perhaps naturally, what I can most relate to and what made Atwood and Munro and Laurence early favourites of mine. She also writes about favourite literary landmines of mine - couples and families and love. And while one of the stories is entitled "Vanishing", they are all about vanishing, leaving, disappearing - emotionally or physically.

But despite all of this commonality, the stories are all refreshingly different. While I liked them all, perhaps my favourite is "Caught" that imagines possible ways a love triangle of a middle-aged woman, one of her students and her husband might play out.

If you like short stories I highly recommend this book.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Delta Hotel - 350 St. Mary in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, June 28, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/28/2010 UTC) at Delta Hotel - 350 St. Mary in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

at the 2nd floor ladies' room.

This book was released for the 2010 Canada Day release challenge (running June 25 - July 4) in celebration of Canadian books and authors.

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know or even release it back into the wild as I did. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!

I hope that you enjoy this book by a Canadian author. Happy Canada Day on the 1st!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, June 28, 2010