corner corner First Among Sequels

First Among Sequels
by Jasper Fforde | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by TheLostBook of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 6/1/2009

status (set by Rrrcaron): available

Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 01, 2009

The fifth, and latest, in the Thursday Next series. If you haven't read the previous books, you might want to join those bookrays too: The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, The Well of Lost Plots and Something Rotten. And, you might not want to read any further, because there are inevitable spoilers.

Thursday is working undercover - so undercover that her husband thinks she's a housewife and mother with a flooring business. We've reached the twenty-first century and, even in Thursday's literature-obsessed story world, attention spans are decreasing and reality TV is taking over. Can Thursday stop Pride and Prejudice being turned into a vote-em-off reality book?

We're starting a bookray for this, as part of The Lost Book project. The Lost Book is an animated web series which you can help write. It follows the adventures of investigative journalist, and BookCrosser, Aileen Adler and her dog Watson as they try to solve the crime of a stolen book.

As well as inviting you to help write the web series, we have a creative writing competition to create the stolen book. Jasper Fforde is our special guest writer. He has set the scene with two intriguing newspaper articles about the book - the journal of a 2004 expedition to Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World. We're inviting 100-word entries each week and will gradually reconstruct the missing book from these microstories.

Update: The Lost Book ran until July 2009 and is now finished - apart from lots of books like this one that are still travelling and finding new readers!

Bookray - PM at any time, with your shipping preferences, to join.
TracyW, UK (Int)
NMReader, USA (USA)
Maurean, USA (USA/Canada preferred, Int if needed) - skipped
Rrrcaron, USA (USA)

Bookray complete!

Journal Entry 2 by TheLostBook at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 07, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/7/2010 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

First Among Sequels is starting its bookray journey. Happy reading, everyone!

Journal Entry 3 by TracyW at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Arrived safely a couple of days ago and am already part-way through

Journal Entry 4 by TracyW at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, July 04, 2010

Just realised I hadn't posted my review!

I liked this, it's as witty and inventive as any of the other books in the series, in particular the multiple Thursday Nexts, or the Jenny daughter. The introduction of the jokes and philosophical situations were a well done extension, I thought. However, as a major Jane Austen fan, I was disappointed by the short amount of time actually occupied with Pride and Prejudice, particularly given the time Hamlet had in First Amongst Sequels, or Jane Eyre (my perhaps least-favourite "great book") in the first book. I was hoping for some more exploration of the plot, or one of the characters from P&P.

Journal Entry 5 by TracyW at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (7/6/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Put in the post to Katrinat today.

Journal Entry 6 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, July 11, 2010

arrived yesterday, looking forward to seeing what happens next x

Journal Entry 7 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I was really enjoying this but then in the last 70ish pages started to lose interest and focus. I think it started to stretch out too far when Thursday went back into book world.

Journal Entry 8 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, October 02, 2010

sent off to the next reader

Journal Entry 9 by fritzykatz at Hinterzarten, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, October 10, 2010

This book arrived safe and sound. Thanks so much katrinat; I really enjoyed the other books in this series and I hope this one will be as good!

Journal Entry 10 by fritzykatz at Hinterzarten, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, October 24, 2010

Full of unreal and interesting ideas, this book took me off on another ride with Thursday Next. It was fun!

Journal Entry 11 by fritzykatz at Hinterzarten, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I enjoyed this book and have sent it off to katacs (sorry, a bit late).

Journal Entry 12 by katacs at Szeged, Csongrád Hungary on Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Arrived today safe and sound.

28/12 Loved this one, it is full of suprises and interesting turns.

Journal Entry 13 by katacs at to a fellow bookcrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 20, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/20/2011 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Ireland.

Journal Entry 14 by kiwiinengland at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Safely arrived in Ireland. Thanks for sending it on katacs, and TheLostBook for starting the ring.

ETA: Hayes13 has asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 15 by kiwiinengland at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, July 17, 2011

When this arrived I think I was a little jaded with Sci-fi, and with the slight disappointment of the last Thursday book. But this book was great fun, with the quasi illogical science regarding time travel, all the Thursday´s and lots of running about.

Thanks for the opportunity to read this, and I´m terribly sorry about the delay...however the book has travelled in Britain, Ireland, and Belgium while I´ve been reading it.

Journal Entry 16 by kiwiinengland at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, July 18, 2011

benschu has asked to be skipped (via her profile page).

Just had a thought, there were a few sentences in this book that really reminded me of the Lost Book project. How the reader is the person who creates the story and determines the outcome. :)

Journal Entry 17 by kiwiinengland at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, August 08, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/8/2011 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Going first class/airmail to the USA. I'm posting this to leoluvr as I was unable to contact UnwrittenLibra (who has just started College and whose Grandmother died in the period of time I was trying to track her down. Perhaps they should be moved further down the list.)
Anway, happy travelling little book.

Journal Entry 18 by leoluvr at Tucson, Arizona USA on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Arrived safely today... I'll get started on it as soon as i finish my current project.

Journal Entry 19 by leoluvr at Tucson, Arizona USA on Friday, September 16, 2011

Finished this a few days ago, just pmed next person on the list for an address. I'll mail it off as soon as I hear back.

Journal Entry 20 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Arrived in the mail yesterday

Journal Entry 21 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, October 31, 2011

While I have enjoyed participating in this spiral and have enjoyed the books, I made myself a promise about reading books I own and therefore I am passing this book on unread so I can concentrate more on the books I own and getting them moving.

Thanks for including me - I hope to come back and read the rest of this series after I get some books out of my house.

Journal Entry 22 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, October 31, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/1/2011 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I'll drop at the PO after work

Delivery Confirmation Number: 0311 0820 0001 0692 4988

GREENSBORO, NC 27495

Acceptance
November 04, 2011, 1:16 pm
CROWNSVILLE, MD 21032

Journal Entry 23 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I received this book last month-so sorry for the late journal. I finally have internet again!! Long month..... Anyways, will get to this book soon. Thay all arrived at once. Won't be long....

Journal Entry 24 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Another enjoyable read. Can't wait for Thursday's next adventure...
Ruth