Coraline

by Gaiman, Neil | Children's Books |
Registered by hyper7 of Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on 5/31/2009
Journal Entry 1 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Sunday, May 31, 2009
Bought new from Kalahari.net

I am sending this book out as a bookring. It is very small and light, so shouldn't be a problem for people to send it international. From South-Africa it goes out as "Large letter".

Here is the list of interested parties.

People who are done with the book is marked in Bold

AlterEgoZoe (USA - US/Canada)
Sothisdhampir (USA - Prefer US/Canada)
bananabrianna (Canada - Int)
arabd (Mexico - USA)
Maurean (USA - Int)
UnwrittenLibra (USA - Int)
Dakini6 (USA - Int)
Uruviel (MEX - Int)
elidanora(Argentina - Int)
franaloe (Netherlands - Prefer EU)
sinjeto (Finland - Prefer EU)
AgdaAgulina (Czech - Prefer EU)
mikime (Italy - Int)
Lottiotta (UK - UK)
Jonniboi (UK - UK)
sofiathereader (UK - UK)

deludeddaydream (UK - Int)
shelj7k (Ireland - Int)
mrbaggins1 (RSA - Int)
Home

How the bookring works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to get it out to next reader within four weeks)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list.

Hint: Ask for the address of the next on the list before you have finished reading; sometimes it takes a while before you get a reply. Some people don't get PM's. You may want to look for an e-mail address on their profile, or leave an ISO message on the forum. If the person doesn't respond within 7-10 days (use your judgement), please PM the next person, and then me, so I can update the bookring list.

Forum topic: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/6280454/8

Journal Entry 2 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Monday, June 08, 2009
Sent to AlterEgoZoe (USA)

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, June 13, 2009
Received today. (Will try to read over the weekend).

Journal Entry 4 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, June 20, 2009
Not what I expected. Will send on once I get the next person's address.

Journal Entry 5 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, June 25, 2009
Sorry it took me a bit, but has been mailed today!

Journal Entry 6 by sothisdhampir from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Monday, June 29, 2009
Got it today, should be able to dive in within a day or so. :)

Journal Entry 7 by sothisdhampir from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Thursday, July 02, 2009
Well I quite enjoyed this one. I enjoyed the movie a bit, but it seemed to be more about visual effects than the story. The book of course contained the essence of the story, and it was rather touching in it's own unique way. Overall it's a story about childhood, bravery, parental love and adventure. I enjoyed Coraline's character quite a bit, she reminded me a bit of myself as a child, very odd but there is more than meets the eye to her. I would have to say my favorite character would have to be the cat tho...if my own black kitty could talk it would definatly have this ones wise attuide. One does need to keep in mind though that it is a book aimed at a younger crowd so the desicriptions are short, simple and once and a while seem a little lacking, but overall I am once more impressed with Gaiman. I am happy to have given his works a chance. Thanks making this one avalable hyper7! :)

Journal Entry 8 by sothisdhampir at Trenton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/3/2009 UTC) at Trenton, Ontario Canada

On to the next, happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 9 by Vapermom from Trenton, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 13, 2009
Received today, will start it tomorrow!

Journal Entry 10 by Vapermom from Trenton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 19, 2009
I wasn't too impressed at the start of this book but by 1/4 way through I have to admit I was enjoying it, it was nice to have something light and airy to read for a change.

I emailed arabd three days ago requesting his address but have not received a reply yet.

Will try again!

Journal Entry 11 by Vapermom at -- wild released somewhere in Province, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/27/2009 UTC) at -- wild released somewhere in Province, Ontario Canada

Mailed to arabd in Mexico!

Journal Entry 12 by arabd from Toluca de Lerdo, Estado de México Mexico on Monday, August 17, 2009
It arrived today.

I hope read it soon.

Thanks hyper7 and bananabrianna.

My pleasure

-----

Updated Aug. 23 -> Today, I start with this book, because I had 2 bookrings before.

Journal Entry 13 by arabd at Toluca, Estado de México, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Mexico on Friday, August 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/28/2009 UTC) at Toluca, Estado de México, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Mexico

I enjoyed this book, although I saw the movie, I found pleasant differences.

It continues its trip to Florida, USA.

Bon voyage!

Thanks hyper7...

Updated Oct. 13, 2009 -> This book is with Maurean since September 10, 2009. This page confirm it: http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm with this receipt number: RM009869964MX (view picture)
I'm concerned about she hasn't written a journal.

Journal Entry 14 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Monday, October 19, 2009
Unfortunately this ring seems to have stalled with Maurean. Apologies to all the other people on the list!
I will try to get hold of a new copy to continue the ring.

Journal Entry 15 by Maurean from Atlantic Beach, Florida USA on Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Yes, this ring did stall with me, and I am SOOOO apologetic for that! My life has been in one great big upheaval for the last month or so, and unfortunately bookcrossing took a backseat for awhile...BUT, I *do* have this book...or rather, *had* this book, and it is now continuing its journey, on its way to Jerusalem to UnwrittenLibra....again, HUGE apologies (esp. to Hyper7, but to all those remaining on this ring) for holding this up for so long...

Journal Entry 16 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Arrived here in Jerusalem, Israel along with 5 other pieces of mail today! Thanks, Maurean!

Journal Entry 17 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Monday, December 07, 2009
Finally finished this one yesterday...an odd read, this one. The story is deliciously eerie although I did get lost at a few points. The imagery was fascinating and I really liked how the story went, but I felt that a few plot points (the rats, the theater ladies) were kind of unnecessary. All in all an enjoyable read that just took a bit longer than I thought!

Journal Entry 18 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Monday, December 07, 2009
Sent off yesterday from Jerusalem-Emek Refaim, Israel to Anchorage, Alaska, USA! Bon voyage and teitzei b'shalom!

Journal Entry 19 by dakini6 from Anchorage, Alaska USA on Tuesday, January 26, 2010
I arrived home today after a couple weeks out of town to find this (and a slew of other books!) waiting for me. Diving in here first in the hopes that it is a quick read.

Journal Entry 20 by dakini6 from Anchorage, Alaska USA on Saturday, March 20, 2010
I found Coraline to be enchanting, as are all of Gaiman's works that i have read this far. While you can certainly tell that this is aimed at a younger audience, it was still a very well crafted piece of fantasy which i thoroughly enjoyed. Looking forward to watching the film now that i've read the book. Thanks hyper7 for sharing and UnwrittenLibra for posting.

Journal Entry 21 by dakini6 at -- Somewhere, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/31/2010 UTC) at -- Somewhere, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to Uruviel in Mexico. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by xx-calypso-xx from Xochimilco, Distrito Federal Mexico on Friday, April 16, 2010
Arrived yesterday to its provisional home ;)

Reading since today.

Thanks to hyper7 for the chance to get it, thanks to Dakini6 for the gorgeous postcard ;)

(By the way... need to contact Maurean)

Journal Entry 23 by xx-calypso-xx from Xochimilco, Distrito Federal Mexico on Thursday, April 22, 2010
I absolutely love this book better than the movie. :D

Coraline must do all on herself. The cat is adorable!

It frightened me by the last part... a fear that hurts in my belly. I keep the images from here, the darkness...

Will send on next payment day ;)

Journal Entry 24 by xx-calypso-xx at by mail, to the next reader -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 30, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/30/2010 UTC) at by mail, to the next reader -- Controlled Releases

Left yesterday in post office, destination: Argentina.

Hope you enjoy it elidanora!
If it is of help, this is the registration code: RC442025401MX

I want to specially thank hyper7 for the ring and to Dakini6 for the posting. :)

It just arrived safe and sound. I´ll read it very soon and then pass to the next in line.

I found the book imaginative, sweety, easy to read and very scary, too.
Though I had watched the movie (my niece was a fan of Coraline, by the way), I´ve enjoyed the book very much. I must say that I missed the boy, I was expecting him in the first pages but then I realized that he was an addition to the movie.

Thanks for Sharing!!

Released 9 yrs ago (7/5/2010 UTC) at Correo Argentino, Ciudad de Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) Argentina

The book is traveling to Europe.
Buen viaje, Coraline!!

Reference Number: Correo Argentino RR 630016941 AR

Journal Entry 28 by franaloe at Texel, Oudeschild, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, July 23, 2010
Wow, it took a while, but I have the book now! I was not at home when they delivered the book, so I had to go to the post office to pick it up. I did not read the note right so I went to the wrong one, but I got a parcel anyway. I did not check well enough, so only when I opened it at home and found some random things plus a card for some Barbara I found out that they gave me the wrong parcel. Grrrrrrr. So back to the post office I went, got the note back, went to the right post office and then got the book. Nice one....

I've seen the movie about a year ago, but am curious about the book! Thanks for sending and sharing.

Journal Entry 29 by franaloe at Texel, Oudeschild, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 15, 2010
Nice little story about a very brave girl in an old enchanted house. Too bad I'd seen the movie already, so I knew what was going to happen. Still, a very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!
I'll contact the next on the list fot their address.

Journal Entry 30 by franaloe at Texel, Oudeschild, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, August 19, 2010
I didn't get any response from sinjeto, so I've just sent the book off to AgdaAgulina instead.
Thanks again for sharing!

Journal Entry 31 by AgdaAgulina at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Coraline is in Finland now! Thank you... soon more...

Journal Entry 32 by AgdaAgulina at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, October 02, 2010
Cute little book this Coraline. It has been some time since I saw the film, so it left free illustration to my imagination. I liked the book, though it was somehow lighter and faster to read than I excepted. And now it would be very curious to see the film again...

Thank you for the bookring! It is on it's way to Italy already.

Journal Entry 33 by AgdaAgulina at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 02, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/29/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Safe travelling!

Journal Entry 34 by wingmikimewing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, October 05, 2010
I've just received this book, thanks to AgdaAgulina for sending it to me. I'm looking forward to reading it, I love Neil Gaiman and I've already watched the film (couldn't help it) and loved it. I'll start reading it straightaway.

Miki

Journal Entry 35 by wingmikimewing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Saturday, October 09, 2010
An enchanting, fantastic story, in all kinds of manners. Gaiman manages to mix a sparkling imagination with interesting contents and words of wisdom. I think the film is a perfect transposition of the novel, including the changes and plot/characters modifications it features.
Thank you so much for this bookring! I will look for my own copy to always have it at hand.
I have just sent it on to Lottiotta....happy travelling, and happy reading to all of you!

Miki

Journal Entry 36 by Lottiotta at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 13, 2010
I received this in the post this morning, and I love the cover! I've already seen the movie, but I've deliberately forgotten it so I can read this with new eyes.

Thanks so much for sending this my way; I will let you know when I'm done reading it and when I've sent it on. :)

Journal Entry 37 by Lottiotta at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, October 31, 2010
I read this in one sitting today on the train back from Paris.

I loved it; I loved the way it teaches us, even the grown-ups. Thank you very much for sharing. Again, I find myself sending another book to Jonniboi! I will let you know when I've posted this one.

Thanks again!

1st November 2010
Jonniboi has already read it, and has asked to be skipped, so I'm about to PM Sofiathereader. :)

2nd November 2010
Sofiathereader tells me that she's now in Greece, but I don't mind sending it overseas, so now I'm just waiting for her address.

Journal Entry 38 by Lottiotta at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, November 04, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/4/2010 UTC) at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom

Sent by airmail to Greece to be read by Sofiathereader. It should be with you within 5 days, Sophia! :) Enjoy.