The Tale of Murasaki: A Novel

by Liza Crihfield Dalby | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dedo on 5/30/2003
Journal Entry 1 by dedo on Friday, May 30, 2003
Really liked the author's book Geisha, so got this one about the author of the Japanese work "The Tale of Genji." It's supposed to be superb for its faithful depiction of life in Japan during the eleventh century, but, unfortunately, I found it rather dry. I'm sure there's someone out there who will love it as I could not!

Journal Entry 2 by Nakdan from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Sunday, July 20, 2003
I just found the book at Teaism. I saw it sitting by itself on the table and picked it up. I was delighted to learn about Book Crossing and am looking forward to reading the book. I'm reading Fast Food Nation right now and will begin The Tale of Murasaki as soon as I finish that (in a couple weeks or so).

Journal Entry 3 by 2busy2b from Norwich, Connecticut USA on Saturday, February 18, 2006
I bought the book at a used book store because the cover looked interesting. I had just read Memiors of a Geisha and felt I could use a little more Japanese culture. It was slow, but kept my interest. The author's description of the period clothing was fasinating at first, but became redundant after awhile. I'd be interested in reading Genji's story, his life did not sound as down as Murasaki's.