The Speckled Band

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by DEESSE of Erstein, Alsace France on 5/25/2009
Journal Entry 1 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, May 25, 2009
This is a simplified version (from the "Easy Readers" series), based on a vocabulary of 650 words.

This edition has been abridged and simplified to provide graduated reading exercises for students of English.
Vocabulary and sentence structure have been selected because of their high frequency and practical value to the learner.
Words which are difficult to understand in context or fall out of the "Easy Reader" frequency modules are explained by footnotes in simple English or by illustrations.
"Easy Readers" are suitable for use in schools, for home study, or simply for reading enjoyment.

I "saved" this from our English library and it will now be part of our class library.

Journal Entry 2 by DEESSE at Erstein, Alsace France on Wednesday, November 02, 2011
I read this little book as part of the reading challenge (October: read at least one book with an adjective in the title). Thanks to the pictures and easy explanations the English was quite easy to understand.

The story (the mystery) was interesting, as well as the way Holmes solved it - with an admiring Watson at his side... but the style was not too much my cup of tea.

Will be part of our class library now.