Wild Dogs

by Helen Humphreys | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 5/24/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, May 24, 2009
On sale at Chapters - couldn't stop myself.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, June 14, 2009
My goodness. I also couldn't stop myself from reading this story even though I found it quite unsettling.

Six lonely damaged people gather at the forest edge each evening, each of them hoping to coax their beloved pet to return to them. Their dogs have all gone wild and banded together in a savage pack, having been released into the wild. It was not their owners who had released them. Rather it was someone else who did that to them - to the dogs, to the dogs' owners.

How sad. How sad that the dogs would go wild so quickly and seemingly forget the way home, forget their loving masters. How sad that the owners show up night after night, hoping for the impossible.

As might be expected, these lost souls (the people, not the dogs) also form a bond, having shared the same experience. Alice (lonely, vulnerable - her now ex was the one to get rid of her dog) is the main focus of the book and it is first through her that we get to know the others (Jamie, the rebellious teen with troubles at home, Malcolm a disturbed artist who's not painting, Lily a brain damaged young woman with the mind forever of a child, Walter a disgruntled senior, and a research biologist with whom Alice falls quickly and helplessly in love). However, each of the other characters has their say in the book too and I liked that approach. I did have a bit of a problem with Lily's story. While her actions and words were innocent and child-like the language the author used for her was not. What happens to Lily was a bit more than I could buy too.

Nevertheless I thought the book was very powerful. A tragic story of love and loss, belonging and rejection and the impossibility of ownership.

I'm going to sent this book out in the wild shortly. In the meantime it is my 23rd book by a female Canadian author read for The 2nd Canadian Book Challenge, Eh?

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at -- Bus Stop (see notes for details) -- in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/1/2009 UTC) at -- Bus Stop (see notes for details) -- in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Westwood Drive at the Maureen Street stop.

Westwood Drive is a popular route for dog walkers. Perhaps finding this book will add to the pleasure. A glorious morning to be out and about.

I've released this book as part of the Canada Day release challenge in celebration of Canadian books and authors. Enjoy! And, Happy Canada Day!