Turtle Valley

by Gail Anderson-Dargatz | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 5/24/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, May 24, 2009
On sale at Chapters.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2009
I am of mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it was a quick read (I polished it off in a couple of days) and I was interested to see how the story unfolded. On the other hand, the timeline of the story seemed to take forever. There's a forest fire descending on the town for heaven's sake and the word to evacuate could happen at any time! Yet here's the protagonist making fudge, sorting through old treasures and cavorting with her former lover. I'd be grabbing my family and all the stuff and getting the hell out. Plus, while there is a mystery to solve complete with ghosts and eerie parallels between the protagonist's life and her grandmother's, it really was rather predictable. So while I was interested in how the story turned out, it was more a case of seeing whether it would unfold as I guessed it would.

I'm not sure if the story would have been as predictable if I had not recently read Anderson-Dargatz's, _The Cure for Death by Lightning_. Our protagonist in Turtle Valley, Katrine, is the daughter of Beth Weeks from The Cure. So we already know Katrine's nasty grandparents. Grandpa John, having suffered a head injury in the war, is mentally unstable and abusive. Grandma Maud and their children are forced to endure his excesses. John disappears into the bush after a confrontation with a neighbour whom he suspects as having an affair with his wife. Flash forward to today and Katrine is having to deal with a husband who has also suffered a brain-injury from a stroke and has violent outbursts in addition to sorting out her feelings for her former lover.

I loved The Cure. While there was plenty of ugliness and damage, it seemed much relieved by the astonishing bits of beauty that the author interwove in the story. In Turtle Valley, we get a similar relief from the little treasures and mementos that Katrine uncovers while sorting through her mother's things -her grandmother's carpet bag and contents, some keys, a shaving razor, a tin can full of letters. But these were not enough to make this story sparkle for me like The Cure did.

It was an okay read all in all - maybe better than that if this was an introduction to this author's work.

This is my 26th book by a Canadian woman author for the 2nd Canadian Book challenge. So I've really finished the challenge twice with my women. Hey! I just realized that my 13th read was The Cure for Death by Lightning by this author. How freakish is that!

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing at Osborne Village in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/1/2009 UTC) at Osborne Village in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

on the concrete ledges/seating area under the chimes clock.

I've released this book as part of the Canada Day release challenge in celebration of Canadian literature. I hope the finder enjoys it. Happy Canada Day!