Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

by Elizabeth Gilbert | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by nattabee of Madisonville, Kentucky USA on 5/24/2009
Journal Entry 1 by nattabee from Madisonville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, May 24, 2009
Not my type of book, but I've noticed that a lot of people have this on their wish list. That's why I snatched it up at a book sale.

Journal Entry 2 by glitterbee from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Thursday, October 08, 2009
Weird story: while I was sitting at my desk today, the book randomly came to my mind. So after work I went to the Oxfam store to see if, by chance, the book would be sold, which of course, it wasn't. (I bought five other books though) Then I come home and nattabee's package is in the mail, containing this very book. Such a pleasant surprise!

Thank you very much, nattabee!!! :)

Journal Entry 3 by glitterbee from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Amazon Editorial Review:
This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whom Booklist calls "Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister") is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.

Read it - Loved it. It came to me at the perfect time, as I am currently thinking a lot about my own spirituality, my goals in life and my place in this world.

I want to share this book with more people and thus am turning it into a bookring.

Journal Entry 4 by glitterbee from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, October 20, 2009
WELCOME TO THE "EAT PRAY LOVE" BOOK RING

Members are as follows - member in bold currently has possession of the
book:

6. helena100 / Greece
7. home to glitterbee / Germany

This is how it works:
- Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
- When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
- Please try to finish it within four weeks
- You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the
list, so you need to PM them to get their address!
- Journal the book again when you have read it (so we know what you
thought of it!)and make release notes once you send it off.
- If you're the last person on the list please return the book to me, glitterbee

Journal Entry 5 by glitterbee at Hamburg, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 05, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/5/2009 UTC) at Hamburg, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Finally send the book off.
It's on its way to Oedde. Apologies for the delay.
Happy reading!!!

Journal Entry 6 by Oedde from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Monday, November 16, 2009
It arrived safe and sound in Jena! Thanks for sharing, glitterbee!
I will start reading it today or tomorrow and hopefully I won't take long to finish it.

Journal Entry 7 by Oedde from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Thursday, November 26, 2009
Okay I've finished it and I can't say I've enjoyed it, sorry. I didn't like the style at all. Sometimes she describes one and the same thing with three or four different flowery metaphors. That drove me nuts. I did like some of the characters and their stories, like Yudhi and Ketut. But pages and pages about "Yogic beliefs"...
I'm sure the other readers will like it much better than me.

Journal Entry 8 by Oedde at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 26, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/25/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

It's travelling to kiki1928.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, November 28, 2009
Found the book today. Thx! I will reed it as fast as i can.

CAUGHT IN ULM BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG GERMANY

Journal Entry 10 by kiki1928 from Nersingen, Bayern Germany on Saturday, November 28, 2009
Sorry i was not logged in... the book is with me ;)

Journal Entry 11 by kiki1928 from Nersingen, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, January 20, 2010
I am sorry, but there was no chance to finish this book (and this is the very first book I will not finish). It was really boring. But maybe I expected to much from this book.
I went to Italy and Indonasia myself and hoped to read storys about the people and the food. But all I could read was about a woman in her midlife crisis, who is talking to herself!

But thanks for the bookring, now I know I will never ever watch the movie ;)

Released 9 yrs ago (1/21/2010 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

On it´s way to Scotland! I hope you enjoy it ;)

Journal Entry 13 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 30, 2010
This is just arrived thanks and before the film has made it to my little cinema. It's going on top of the bundle.

Journal Entry 14 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 05, 2010
This has taken longer for me to read than I expected. Probably because I wasn't excited by it, I was in no hurry to pick it up again each time I put it down. I'm disappointed because it was recommended by a colleague who raved about it so much and she was amazingly upset when she heard Julia Roberts was going to play to lead in the film because she didn't think she was right for the part. I've got to agree with kiki1928 - it was just a woman having a midlife crisis. I couldn't feel any sympathy for her. Yes, I've been there, done that, marriage didn't work etc but I couldn't afford to run away and hide for a year, much as I would have liked to, and I'm sure there are many other people in the same boat. We just didn't feel the need to tell everyone about it.

Journal Entry 15 by wingearthcaroleannewing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/16/2010 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Continuing on its way in the bookring.

Journal Entry 16 by Caramae from Beneden-Leeuwen, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, March 19, 2010
This just arrived in the post. I am very curious about this book after reading so many positive as well as condemning reviews...

Journal Entry 17 by Caramae at Paris, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, April 18, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/18/2010 UTC) at Paris, Ile-de-France France

Pffft... I have made several attempts to work my way through this book. I have gotten no further than just beyond Italy. Normally I would persevere and finish the book, but since I joined BookCrossing I have so many TBR's that I am now more careful of what I spend my time on.

I was hoping I would agree with the positive reviews but I am afraid I have to agree with the negative ones. The language and the way of storytelling etc are just too... too... pretentious (for lack of a better word) for me. I found myself disliking the narrator and with a book like this you have to care about the narrator to care about what happens to her and to keep reading to see what happens. I did not.

I am sending this on to laure69. Not today, but I am making the release note now because I currently have no internet at home and today I am visiting family who do. Seemed best to make the release note in advance instead of leaving it till next week and risk forgetting it. I am probably taking this to the postoffice on tuesday, possibly wednesday.

I hope one of the next readers will enjoy this book more than I did.