Dear Everybody

by Michael Kimball | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by concertina8 of Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on 5/22/2009
Journal Entry 1 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Friday, May 22, 2009
Jonathon Bender had something to say to the world, but the world wouldn't listen. However, he left behind unsent letters addressed to relatives, friends, teachers, classmates, professors, roommates, employers, former girlfriends, his ex-wife, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the state of Michigan, and a weather satellite, among many others. These form the narrative of a remarkable life.

...

Every now and again, I enjoy reading novels, that are not written in the traditional way.

This particular one is compiled of letters written to everyone from parents to the Tooth Fairy, news paper clippings, discussions between father and son, diary entries, a eulogy, etc.

I recently had an unpleasant reading experience with one made up entirely of e-mail correspondence between two people. It was a major success in the German-speaking world. I thought it was horrible. Not so much because of the e-mails but I believe it was entirely the writing. It just felt fake.

So, I guess I was a bit wary of this one, but hey, if both Stephen King and Dave Eggers plug it, how bad can it be?

I really, really liked it. It helped, of course, that the topic at hand is something that appeals to me (to read about!). The letters are suicide notes of sorts, mostly apologetic, some accusing. Through them, the main character tells about his difficult life. His mental health (diagnosed as depression) is addressed by doctor's reports, his mother's diary and an eulogy by his ex-wife.

It turned out to be an incredibly sad book (duh!) - but not because of the suicide, but because of the devastating family life with a father that was both, neglecting and violent, and never wanted or liked his firstborn.

Journal Entry 2 by concertina8 at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/27/2009 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

off to Portugal

Journal Entry 3 by terpsicore from Algés, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, June 11, 2009
i got this book in the mail a week ago, but only now did i manage to make time to register it. I startes reading it today and am enjoying it so far. thanks for the loan concertina:)