The Magus

by John Fowles | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 5/22/2009
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Friday, May 22, 2009
I read this one over 20 years ago. At the time I found it to be very thought-provoking.

Product Description
A man trapped in a millionare's deadly game of political and sexual betrayal.

Filled with shocks and chilling surprises, The Magus is a masterwork of contemporary literature. In it, a young Englishman, Nicholas Urfe, accepts a teaching position on a Greek island where his friendship with the owner of the islands most magnificent estate leads him into a nightmare. As reality and fantasy are deliberately confused by staged deaths, erotic encounters, and terrifying violence, Urfe becomes a desperate man fighting for his sanity and his life. A work rich with symbols, conundrums and labrinthine twists of event, The Magus is as thought-provoking as it is entertaining, a work that ranks with the best novels of modern times.

This is also No. 409 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Sunday, May 24, 2009
Bookray
Starting a bookray for this book. Please PM me if interested in joining. Bookray will remain open until last person has the book.

Participants so far:

. contraforsa from Greece(Europe preferred - will ship international)
. Danielle23 from UK (UK if possible)
. earthcaroleanne from UK (?)
. Jozebedee from UK (UK or EU if possible)
. arturogrande from UK (international)<----Asked to be skipped

. ajsmom from Canada (international)
. angela861 from Illinois, USA (international)

. bookworm76 from Australia (international)
. davemurray101 from Australia (international - near end)
. BokOrm09 from UK (UK or EU - near end)<----Book is here

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookray.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to get it out to next reader within a couple of months)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail
* Last person on the ray: Please either donate the book to the 1001-library or pass it on to another bookcrosser as a RABCK, etc.

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

Bookray is now complete. Thanks everyone for participating!

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/26/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Winging its way to contraforsa in Greece to start this bookray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by contraforsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, June 01, 2009
Book just arrived today! Thank you perryfran, both for sending it to me and offering this ring! I will read as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 5 by contraforsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, June 21, 2009
Just finished reading the book, which I really enjoyed. Full of labyrinths, masks and what is to be found beyond them, the journey of Nicholas Urfe was one, that kept me captivated. I especially enjoyed the sudden twists in the plot, which often came at points, I actually would have never expected them.
Most part of the story is supposed to take place in Greece, where I live and I must admit, that I found the way the Greek island, Phraxos and Greek people were described very accurate. Images presented in the book, match, the ones I have built so far about Greece of the 50's. In Greek literature the light plays an important role quite often. I was very impressed from how in this case, the light was used to create a very dark atmosphere, "a prison made out of light".
At points, the journey of Urfe reminded me a lot of Hesse's Steppenwolf, I recognised the same problematic the same darkness and the same feeling of being lonely and lost, even though at a different level. I too find the book very thought provoking.
It will continue its journey as soon as I have the address of Danielle23. Thank you once more perryfran for offering it as a bookray!

Journal Entry 6 by contraforsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
The book is on its way to Danielle23, I' ve sent it today. Happy readings Danielle23. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 7 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, June 27, 2009
The book has arrived safely contraforsa, thank you so much. And the postcard was breathtaking, Athens looks like such a beautiful city.

I have a few other rings/rays to read before this but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 8 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, July 20, 2009
I didn't start enjoying this book until around page 300 but after that it had me gripped and I just had to read it as quickly as possible. I can't claim to understand it all and the ending didn't clear up as much as I would have liked it to, especially regarding Lily/Julia and Rose/June, but I can say I fully enjoyed it.

Will get this posted on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 9 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, July 20, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/20/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off the earthcaroleanne, the next in the ray. I hope you enjoy it and thanks perryfran for sharing such a thought provoking book xx

Journal Entry 10 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 24, 2009
The book has arrived - I'll read it next.

Journal Entry 11 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (8/28/2009 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I can't believe how long it has taken for me to read this book and it's not because I wasn't enjoying it. I did have to re-read pages to make sure I understood it and I also spent time trying to translate parts. I also might have found it easier if I had more knowledge of the myths and gods he was writing about. It's an amazing story which keeps taking you in different directions but I did feel the ending didn't tie up things for me until I translated the Latin quote at the end. It's on the John Fowles website if anyone else is like me.

On it's way to Jozebedee now.

Journal Entry 12 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Book received today - thank you :) I promise to get to it asap - I have a few other bookrays to get through first!

Journal Entry 13 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 17, 2009
First can I say a big thanks to perryfran for allowing me to have this book for a little longer than I had hoped :)
Well... I absolutely loved this book. It had me gripped from the moment I picked it up. It was so very readable, and there were so many twists and turns in the plot that it kept my attention throughout. I loved the descriptive content of the island etc, and the sheer imagination from Holmes!! I think all the characters were well placed, and all fit into the story perfectly.
I would say however that at the end I still felt that I wasn't quite sure why it had all happened, in what these people really gained from anything that had happened, but I don't think that you were meant to really understand the psychology of it all really..
I was quite pleased that Nicholas at least manages to retain his own mind by the end of his experiences.
Thanks earthcaroleanne for the detail about the website - I have found it really interesting.
I have contacted arturogrande and will send the book in the post when I have heard back from them.
EDIT: arturogrande has asked to be skipped, so I have contacted ajsmom :)

Released 10 yrs ago (12/21/2009 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On it's way now to ajsmom - hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

Journal Entry 15 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Caught today! I have 2 rings ahead of it but will get to it asap!

Journal Entry 16 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, February 09, 2010
I thought this was a fantastic book! I'm glad it made its' way to me - I can't imagine I would ever have read it without bookcrossing.

I enjoyed the open-endedness of it, as that seemed to be part of Conchis' message: you are what you make of your life...this is why man has free will (or freedom, or eleutheria)...so try not to screw it all up!

I will be recommending this book to fellow readers and will keep my eye open for more John Fowles. Thanks for the ray, I will contact angela861 asap.

ETA: Feb 9: mailed to angela861 this morning.

Journal Entry 17 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Think I received this Friday. I had several packages being held hostage in my receiving room (lots of long work days). I'm going on vacation Saturday for a week and will start it as soon as I get back. Thanks for sharing and sending my way!

Journal Entry 18 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, March 25, 2010
I was afraid of this book when I got it. It is think w/ little print... and on the 1001 list. That hasn't been a good combo... until now. I really liked this book. It was a slow start but quickly became a page turner.

Thank you for sharing, perryfran!! I've requested the next person's address and will pass it along soon.

Journal Entry 19 by angela861 at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 05, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/5/2010 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Off to the next reader... sorry for the delay. Had to reread the last few chapters... big argument in my office over the ending. Thank you for sharing!!

Journal Entry 20 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Sunday, May 09, 2010
Book has arrived.

Journal Entry 21 by bookworm76 at Kedron, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 13, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/13/2010 UTC) at Kedron, Queensland Australia

sending off to someone else

Journal Entry 22 by bookworm76 at Kedron, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 13, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/13/2010 UTC) at Kedron, Queensland Australia

sending off to someone else

Journal Entry 23 by davemurray101 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Just recieved The Magus in the post. Will be reading soon. thanks to bookworm and perryfran.

Journal Entry 24 by davemurray101 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 26, 2010
A truly epic read. So many twists and turns and made the main character question reality. All in a magnificent setting of the Greek Islands. Posting on to BokOrm09 in a couple of days.

Journal Entry 25 by davemurray101 at Air Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 02, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/2/2010 UTC) at Air Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to BokOrm09 in the UK.

Journal Entry 26 by BokOrm09 at Orpington, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, September 09, 2010
Thanks to Perryfran for organising this ray and to Dave Murray for speedy posting. Have just collected the book from the post office. I have a couple of rings to read before this one, but should get round to it soon.